Explaining Average Grades (C's)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ewuraadjoa

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
...a

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
if its only one C, i wouldn't even bother explaining it....they won't care....if they do bring it up in the interview, just tell them about the moving...eveyrone knows how much moving is stressful...

I would not directly focus on C's in an essay. If it comes up in an interview, just tell them the truth. "Orgo II was a difficult class for me." I suppose if you did well in the orgo section of the DAT or if you did well in biochemistry you can point to that as an improvement. If I were the interviewer I would appreciate the honesty rather than an excuse. Now if all your grades were low one semester you may explain that with a common reason such as moving etc.

Members don't see this ad :)
Don't put it in your essay, a lot of the time the interviewer barely looks over your transcript, they go straight for three things:GPA, DAT, and Essay. They are not necessarily going to look at the specific breakdown of your grades. They certainly will if you point it out in your essay. DDSSlave is right about an entire semester, however, they will look closely at that, but if you have a C tucked away in what is otherwise a decent GPA, don't worry about it.

Last thing you want to do is make an excuse...they have heard them all.

What you need to do is this. "Yes I did get a C in orgo II for various reasons, but I also got a B+ in Bio-chemistry"

If they ask what the reasons are then you give them. Do not give more negative info than you need too. Turn all negative conversations into positive ones

Another example:
Committee: " We see your GPA is a 3.1, well here at Podunk U our avg GPA last year was 3.5"
Student: "Although my GPA is lower then your Avg last year, if you avg my last 60 credits it is 3.6"

Sure you need to have the stats to back stuff like that...but you get the idea. Just turn all of their negative into a positive for you. So you need to know your application head to toe.

Ok, so how would you explain a C in every bio and chem class except 2? Would they not even call someone like that for an interview? :scared:

IcemanDDS said:
Ok, so how would you explain a C in every bio and chem class except 2? Would they not even call someone like that for an interview? :scared:

Post- bac or Masters degree my friend

I'm sure there is something that shines on your application...just find it and try to figure out a way to make it work in your favor

IcemanDDS said:

I would also like to add that you should never apologize for a bad grade. Acknowledge it, yes, should it come up, but don't treat it like a hideous relative hidden in the attic. Offer an explanation, but like Brocnizer2007 said, frame it in terms of a positive. Speaking of explanations, be sincere and don't offer up negatives about the professor as a viable reason: "He was such a hard@$$", "I swear he was a Russian spy that tortured puppies.." While that may be true, doing so may come across as petty and not taking responsibility for your actions. Don't think in terms of offering explanations to make your case about the grade iron clad, but instead focus on ones that will make an adcom see past those sore spots and focus on you and your potential.

How would an Incomplete look on the application?

jk5177 said:
How would an Incomplete look on the application?

Unfinished business. I would look into getting that taken care of - plus you'll probably have to do something about it if you are going to get your degree.

...l

Last edited:
Ewuraadjoa said:
Thanks for the replies. (My school's advising office asks for explanations for W's and C's in the applicant inventory). I have an ave of 3.46 (including a C and a W). What range of scores on the DAT would boost that up to "competitive"?

I think it depends what the W was for. Was it with a prereq? Did you retake it? If it was sociology or something frivolous just say you didn't enjoy the class. In general I don't think a W is that bad. It's not a I/F. You have a fine gpa and 1 C won't affect you. As I said above, just tell them it was a difficult class and you did the best you could. As far as a competitive DAT, that's up for interpretation. If I were on the adcom, I'd say >20 is "competitive".