Explaining bad grades

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Fairy Queen

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I received a C in a one-hour lab course this spring semester. The rest of my classes were pretty challenging and I got some sort of an A in them. How should such a grade be explained, if I am asked about it in an interview this year? How should other bad grades, such as B's in organic, be explained?

Members don't see this ad.

I received a C in a one-hour lab course this spring semester. The rest of my classes were pretty challenging and I got some sort of an A in them. How should such a grade be explained, if I am asked about it in an interview this year? How should other bad grades, such as B's in organic, be explained?

First, I wouldn't say that a B in organic chemistry is a "bad grade." In terms of your C, explain it truthfully. What did you do/not do that contributed to that grade? If you're honest and upfront about it, you'll do fine.

I'd like to echo what saqrfaraj said. A B in organic does not need to be "explained". Plenty of people have gotten into school with worse. That said, if you're asked about it (there are some on here who tell horror stories of interviewers who asked them how they can expect to succeed in medical school with a B+ in organic, etc.), take responsibility and you'll be fine. Good luck.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'd like to echo what saqrfaraj said. A B in organic does not need to be "explained". Plenty of people have gotten into school with worse. That said, if you're asked about it (there are some on here who tell horror stories of interviewers who asked them how they can expect to succeed in medical school with a B+ in organic, etc.), take responsibility and you'll be fine. Good luck.

You know, I really do wonder how people who don't have SDN feel. They must be freaking out over everything.

You know, I really do wonder how people who don't have SDN feel. They must be freaking out over everything.

I know what you mean. We're like the assembly instructions for stuff that only the smart ones read.

There are so many people who have received D's and C's in organic that I hardly think a B is bad at all. As far as the C in a lab is concerned you might have had a situation or circumstance that led to it. I had a B*#$% for a T.A. who thought it was her job to vent out her PhD rejection frustrations on her class. Needless to say I walked out with barely a B. I think schools are more concerned with < C. You will probably still be asked about it, but I wouldn't worry that much about it.

Would difficulty adjusting to excessively rigorous pre-requisites be a reasonable explanation (I'm planning on wording it better than this, of course)? My university has a pretty intense pre-med curriculum with renowned grade deflation (relative to other universities, from what I've heard). I suffered with C's in intro chem and bio freshmen year but picked up sophomore year with B's (though i always had A-'s or A's in my chem labs). Overall, my improvement was largely due to putting in a lot more of my own study time and attending office hours; I didn't slack off freshmen year, but was really anxious about my performance and spent a little more time than I should have at group/tutor-led study sessions (the sessions were highly recommended by their respective departments, but they wound up feeling more chore-like for me to attend, and I later realized that I could do better on my own).

In summary, would it be reasonable to explain that my different study-methods from first to second year account for my poorer greats and subsequent improvement? And should I omit any mention of anxiety, since I was never officially clinically diagnosed with anything, and don't want to sound like I'm spilling a bunch of BS?

I wouldn't mention the anxiety. Honestly, a C here or there is not a bad thing. Plus, it's only a one-hour course, so it's hardly going to put a dent in your c/sGPA. I'd just own up to it, if it gets asked about at all. I'd mention that you improved your study skills (figured out the best combo of tutoring and self-study)...this shows initiative and drive to improve. In the end though, don't make it any bigger than it actually is. Chances are, it seems like a much bigger deal to you than it will an ADCOM, and it's unlikely to be a big part of your interview.

I wouldn't mention the anxiety. Honestly, a C here or there is not a bad thing. Plus, it's only a one-hour course, so it's hardly going to put a dent in your c/sGPA. I'd just own up to it, if it gets asked about at all. I'd mention that you improved your study skills (figured out the best combo of tutoring and self-study)...this shows initiative and drive to improve. In the end though, don't make it any bigger than it actually is. Chances are, it seems like a much bigger deal to you than it will an ADCOM, and it's unlikely to be a big part of your interview.

Well, on the subject of grades, is it worth explaining my less savory ones in one of those essays that asks for "additional information that is not covered" in my AMCAS application that I would like adcoms to know about? So far, I've inserted info about the courses I'm taking this upcoming year and projected TA or volunteer work. I should have enough characters left before reaching the max to throw in a brief blurb about grades, but I don't know if it's one of those things that I shouldn't bring up until it's asked about.

I think that you might get differing opinions on this. Personally, I wouldn't bring it up in an essay unless you have nothing else to talk about and are desperate for space. The way I see it is that most applicants are probably pretty self-conscious about GPA, and most applicants have some grades they aren't so proud of. I could see explaining a few F's or a string of W's on your transcript, but unless there were really large extenuating circumstances (death in the family, illness, etc), I'd leave it out.

Clearly, though, this is up to you...if you feel that it's necessary to explain, then you should. In that case, I'd just advise you to emphasize -why- you improved (extra work and improved study skills) rather than placing the blame on the curriculum or the tough courses (I'm not saying the courses weren't tough, but even then, it's best to just not mention that).

You don't need to explain 1 C. If it comes up in interviews then you can talk about it. But its not a big deal, don't draw more attention by making a huge deal out of it. Get more A's to make up for it

I know what you mean. We're like the assembly instructions for stuff that only the smart ones read.

I think its more like everyone has the instructions but they're always in that broken engrish thats seems like its been translated by a third grader. SDN is the real english version with extra details and diagrams