Explaining low grades in secondaries

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mazarine

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have three grades on my transcripts which could be concerning for admissions committees:
  1. An I which became an F from a community college course I took in high school. I took the class out of interest and did very well in it initially, but I had to leave the class halfway through because I was traveling out of the country with my family and I could not make up the remaining work. Because this grade is from high school, I am hopeful that adcoms won't ask about it, but it's still on my transcript, so I'm not sure if I should bring it up.
  2. A C in an intro calc class in fall semester freshman year. I hadn't taken calculus since sophomore year of high school and underestimated the amount of work I needed to put in to refresh my memory. This was also my first semester and a transitional period for me.
  3. A C in a human anatomy lab class in fall semester junior year. I took a light course load that semester, which actually worked against me because I just didn't put enough pressure on myself to prepare and study for this class. I took more classes the next semester to pressure myself more and my grades improved significantly, but this grade is still the most concerning to me.
From what I've read here so far, I have the general impression that I shouldn't talk about bad grades in interviews unless my interviewer asks about them, and if they do ask, I should focus on what I learned and things like that. However, if there are specific secondary questions like "explain inconsistencies in your academic performance" or "discuss elements of your application that might be concerning," would it be worth it for me to explain these grades? Additionally, some schools just have a "is there anything else you would like to share" kind of question. Should I talk about my grades there?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Members don't see this ad.

C's wont kill you. Don't mention them in the app, it will actually look bad.
The F on the other hand... That might be worth explaining but since it's from high school I don't know how relevant/pertinent it is to explain it.

Reactions: 1 user
I got a C+ in chemistry my fall semester freshman year, and a C in biology my fall semester junior year.
I also got a C in a calc class in a community college course I took during high school.

None of them were ever brought up in interviews. I wouldn't worry, as long as everything else is solid.
By mentioning it, you're detracting from your strong points. A couple C's here and there is not some giant red flag (like a semester of straight Cs in an otherwise good transcript).

Members don't see this ad :)
This is the only time to bring up poor grades. Explain, and don't make excuses.

However, if there are specific secondary questions like "explain inconsistencies in your academic performance" or "discuss elements of your application that might be concerning," would it be worth it for me to explain these grades?

NO! Save it for interviews. If some life event caused your grades to crater, mention how the event affected you and what you took from it. An astute reviewer will put 2+2 together.
Additionally, some schools just have a "is there anything else you would like to share" kind of question. Should I talk about my grades there?

Thanks for your advice, everyone! I think I'll explain the C's only if the school asks specifically about inconsistencies in academic performance, and I won't bring up the F since it was from high school.