explaining "why DO" on secondaries

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

reese07

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Would it be unnecessary to restate some DO facts that they already know? Do I have to try to make my reason not similar to the things stated in the "what is osteopathy" manual on the aamcom website? How did you guys approach this question?

Members don't see this ad.

Would it be unnecessary to restate some DO facts that they already know? Do I have to try to make my reason not similar to the things stated in the "what is osteopathy" manual on the aamcom website? How did you guys approach this question?

For me, I compared my shadowing experiences with an MD and a DO and talked about how their styles were different. Just talk about why you chose to apply to Osteopathic schools, if it was because of OMM then talk about that or if its because of the more holisitic approach. I wouldn't restate DO facts unless its absolutely necessary, but remember that everyone who is reading your essay already knows what osteopathic medicine is all about.

What is osteopathy? I never quite figured it out. If bones directly affect pathology, shouldn't DO's be fundamentally against vaccines since it doesn't affect any structural change?

Members don't see this ad :)
I tied my response into one of the tenants of OM and explained how I relate to the tenant.

Personally the why DO question is pointless. MDs and DOs are both holistic. Both treat in similar manners. OMT is a minor difference which only some individuals incorporate into their practice. For all intents and purposes allopathic and osteopathic medical schools are the same.

Personally the why DO question is pointless. MDs and DOs are both holistic. Both treat in similar manners. OMT is a minor difference which only some individuals incorporate into their practice. For all intents and purposes allopathic and osteopathic medical schools are the same.
wow ur smart. but seriously that wasn't what he was asking and if he took that attitude when writing secondaries then he would be rejected outright. the AOA is trying to distinguish the professions in any way possible and admissions commitees like to see that you understand there is a difference despite the fact that they practice medicine the same way clinically.

I tied my response into one of the tenants of OM and explained how I relate to the tenant.

that's pretty much what i did as well. I concentrated on the pros of osteopathic principles rather than comparing DO/MD. avoided the controversy altogether.