Explaining withdrawals on my transcript for AMCAS/AACOMAS

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

supernova2000

New Member
5+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I had some questions regarding withdrawals on my transcript.

So last year, I took a gap year and I had to withdraw from a pre-req (Physics II) due to personal/family issues. I will be taking Physics II again and it will be completed by the end of this year.

Two questions:

1. In my AMCAS and AACOMAS primary and/or secondary applications, would I have to mention this anywhere? Or should I say nothing unless it comes up in interviews?

2. Also, would I have to take the same exact withdrawn course to complete the Physics II requirement at my university or can I take an equivalent course at another university? I'm asking in case my university cancels Physics II in the fall due to COVID-19 (they canceled all Chemistry/Organic Chemistry courses for the summer for this reason).
 
I had some questions regarding withdrawals on my transcript.

So last year, I took a gap year and I had to withdraw from a pre-req (Physics II) due to personal/family issues. I will be taking Physics II again and it will be completed by the end of this year.

Two questions:

1. In my AMCAS and AACOMAS primary and/or secondary applications, would I have to mention this anywhere? Or should I say nothing unless it comes up in interviews?

2. Also, would I have to take the same exact withdrawn course to complete the Physics II requirement at my university or can I take an equivalent course at another university? I'm asking in case my university cancels Physics II in the fall due to COVID-19 (they canceled all Chemistry/Organic Chemistry courses for the summer for this reason).
Never ever mention something like this in a PS. That''s not what it's for.

ONLY discuss in a secondary IF specifically asked about it.

Pre-meds have this irrational fear of Ws... They seem to treat them as worse then Fs. You took the W precisely for the reason it was invented for. The only time Ws are an issue is if we see a scattering of them through out a normally good transcript. That telegraphs someone is trying to protect their GPA.

Please spread the word; as it's app season, we'll be seeing queries like yours ad nauseum.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
supernova2000 said:
1. In my AMCAS and AACOMAS primary and/or secondary applications, would I have to mention this anywhere? Or should I say nothing unless it comes up in interviews?

2. Also, would I have to take the same exact withdrawn course to complete the Physics II requirement at my university or can I take an equivalent course at another university? I'm asking in case my university cancels Physics II in the fall due to COVID-19 (they canceled all Chemistry/Organic Chemistry courses for the summer for this reason).
1. Mention it in the misc. section
2. You should be ok to take physics 2 at another uni
Good luck