Explaining withdrawals on my transcript for AMCAS/AACOMAS

supernova2000

2+ Year Member
Aug 23, 2018
I had some questions regarding withdrawals on my transcript.

So last year, I took a gap year and I had to withdraw from a pre-req (Physics II) due to personal/family issues. I will be taking Physics II again and it will be completed by the end of this year.

Two questions:

1. In my AMCAS and AACOMAS primary and/or secondary applications, would I have to mention this anywhere? Or should I say nothing unless it comes up in interviews?

2. Also, would I have to take the same exact withdrawn course to complete the Physics II requirement at my university or can I take an equivalent course at another university? I'm asking in case my university cancels Physics II in the fall due to COVID-19 (they canceled all Chemistry/Organic Chemistry courses for the summer for this reason).

Jun 11, 2010
Somewhere west of St. Louis
  1. Non-Student
I had some questions regarding withdrawals on my transcript.

So last year, I took a gap year and I had to withdraw from a pre-req (Physics II) due to personal/family issues. I will be taking Physics II again and it will be completed by the end of this year.

Two questions:

1. In my AMCAS and AACOMAS primary and/or secondary applications, would I have to mention this anywhere? Or should I say nothing unless it comes up in interviews?

2. Also, would I have to take the same exact withdrawn course to complete the Physics II requirement at my university or can I take an equivalent course at another university? I'm asking in case my university cancels Physics II in the fall due to COVID-19 (they canceled all Chemistry/Organic Chemistry courses for the summer for this reason).
Never ever mention something like this in a PS. That''s not what it's for.

ONLY discuss in a secondary IF specifically asked about it.

Pre-meds have this irrational fear of Ws... They seem to treat them as worse then Fs. You took the W precisely for the reason it was invented for. The only time Ws are an issue is if we see a scattering of them through out a normally good transcript. That telegraphs someone is trying to protect their GPA.

Please spread the word; as it's app season, we'll be seeing queries like yours ad nauseum.

Reactions: 2 users
About the Ads

jhmmd

supernatural
Apr 28, 2020
desert highway
supernova2000 said:

1. Mention it in the misc. section
2. You should be ok to take physics 2 at another uni
Good luck

About the Ads
This thread is more than 1 year old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.