Explanation for Ws and Cs -- is this sufficient?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Crying9to5

Reaction score
I withdrew from an introductory calculus class my freshman spring because I wanted to take a higher level version of the class, which I did over the summer and got an A. Also during freshman spring and sophomore fall, I got Cs in gen chem 1 and orgo 1. Then in sophomore spring, I withdrew from calc 2 because I had made the mistake of joining the class late and was very behind due to this, didn't need the class for my major, and realized it wasn't worth killing myself over. As or A minuses in everything else.

I have an upward trend since all this happened. I'm trying to figure out how to properly explain these grades when it gets time to apply. For the Cs, it was because I simply didn't know how to study yet and was afraid to ask for help. I finally decided to make a big change my sophomore spring, when I withdrew from Calc 2, and stop brute forcing things that weren't working. Using the extra time I now had, I took advantage of a bunch of different resources at my university to learn how to study properly and effectively and made sure to actually foster relationships with my professors and others. Since then, I've excelled in my BCPM classes, and I have been overloading every semester (because I need to if I want to finish on time), which I hope demonstrates that I can handle a rigorous coarse load.

So this is the most honest explanation I've got. In the actual explanation on med school apps, I would focus more on the steps I took to improve and the evidence that I now know my stuff, not what went wrong. Would this suffice as showing growth, or would it be a red flag in some way?

Members don't see this ad.

I have had a few interviews this cycle, I also have many W's, some C's and even a D. Not once has a single grade been mentioned in any interview nor have I been asked to explain anything.

Reactions: 1 user
Thank you for using the confessional booth/reconciliation room. (Say "Mary Mother of Grace" five times.)

I also think none of this is a big deal. What prompt are you addressing?
Sorry for the neuroticism, I've been feeling really worried about this for a long time and was afraid it might cost me my med school chances. But based on your responses it's looking like it might not be as big of a deal as I thought! UVA in particular (and probably other schools I'm not aware of) asks for a written explanation for a grade of C, per their website. It's my state school