Exposure Advice Non-traditional

Started by Aegis
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Aegis

Primary Care and Aerospace
20+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
So to give a little background I'm an Air Force Special Ops Flight Surgeon. I did my intern year in IM in 2010, I have two years left in the military before separating and strongly considering a PM&R residency to start in 14'. I've gone back and forth between what residency to pursue over the last couple years and I've really learned a lot about what I want to do by being alone and unafraid treating patients in some fairly austere places. I've really come to love MSK medicine, I get excited every time I get to develop a physical therapy program for a patient. I've started to really do a lot more reading about PM&R and most everything I read really resonates with not only what I want to do, but why I became a doc in the first place. The unfortunate thing about this is PM&R was very under-advertised in my med school and I never even considered it (I'm honestly trying to remember if I knew it existed at all), so I never did an elective. I'm currently deployed and when I get home I'm going to try spending a couple days if I can with a PM&R doc, but I'm at a pretty remote base, so its not going to be easy. So..my question is how can I expose myself to the PM&R community? How can I get involved if I'm not affiliated or even geographically close to an academic center? I'm not necessarily looking for brownie points, I think my CV is fairly strong, I just want to immerse myself as much as I can to make sure this is indeed the specialty for me. I've thought of going to the national conference in November, perhaps subscribing to the journal? Anyone have any good advice? Books to read? Podcasts? research opportunities? If anyone knows a good physiatrist in Albuquerque NM, or Lubbock TX that would be willing to let me hang out for a day or two please let me know..

Thanks
 
See if you can get a few month deployment to Lackland (or across the way to Brook). Plenty of PM&R opportunity there. But in reality, your record should be fine.