External Fellowships?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

PhDshallsee

Full Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I am in a summer program this summer and I keep hearing about the importance of applying for external fellowships while applying for graduate school because most are awarded your first year.

What are some good sites to search for external fellowships?
 
Just what I've heard...if you have external scholarhips, your chances of getting in are higher, because "the university doesn't have to pay for you" as in the professor that you chose to work with doesn't have to take out money from his/her own funds
That being said, a lot of the PhD programs provide tuition waiver and stipend for a substantial amount, so ...I don't think it's the case that schools don't provide scholarship in one's first year of the program.