External funding in grad. school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

glasscandie

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was talking to a current grad. student at a school I'm interested in (neuropharmacology) and she said not all students get funded there (I think I'd be eligible, however). Anyway, she mentioned some type of grant you can apply for externally in your 2nd year - started with an NI -. Anyone know of any other types of funding like that, besides taking out a giant loan that makes me cringe whenever I think of it?

Members don't see this ad.

NIH predoctoral fellowship? (a.k.a. F31, NRSA, etc.)

Those are probably the most common of the large-scale ones - they're generally for 1-3 years, and provide a good bit of funding both for yourself, and for your dissertation. What's somewhat ironic about them is that in order to be competitive for them, you generally need to be at a research-heavy program to begin with, and these programs tend to have funding anyways. Of course there are always exceptions.

Other organizations have similar ones...I know American heart association has one, I think there are other similar ones. There's tons of "little" ones out there...thousand dollars here, few hundred dollars there, that can add up if you're really willing to do the legwork applying for them all.

Thanks, I'm going to have to start researching. My 2nd year is a good 3 years off, but I want to be aware of the options should I get accepted somewhere but with no funding. I think most of the schools I'm applying to are mostly funded (especially in the MD/DC area) but others only fund 1-2 students, etc.

Members don't see this ad :)
phd030909s

:D

Quite a few people in my program have gotten F31 grants. You have to write a comprehensive research proposal, and submit it to NIH (or a division of NIH like NIDA or NIAAA). It's very extensive and very competitive, and it make take a couple submissions before getting accepted (or may not get accepted at all). It runs on a scored system and the # or threshold of score for funded proposals depends on the year/funds available.

An F31 is a great deal and looks awesome on your CV. You get year-round funding, usually more $ than an RA/TA, and money for things like running subjects, travel for conferences, and other incidentals.

Though I agree with Ollie123, the type/reputation of the program you're in does play a factor. So does your undergrad institution, GRE, past GPA, etc. Basically they look at the big picture of your academic productivity in an attempt to predict whether you'll be a good investment in regard to future research generator.

Therapist4Chnge, Thanks for the hilarious website. I've spent hours on it since yesterday :)

rainedallnight, Thanks for the link. I have to put together a list of fellowships to look into real soon! I am glad you posted this.

I just started a similar thread and just now noticed this one has answered some of my questions.