Extra Cirricular Acts in Undergrad

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dlacroix

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Are club and volunteer involvements really that important?
I'm involved in Student Government and I'm also a Student Ambassador for my school.
(of course I know grades count)but how much of a boost does a Student Government Office give an application?

Members don't see this ad.

Yeah they are important to the point you are showing the medschools you are wanting to go to medical school... as instead of just settling for it because you have the grades. Plus most schools like to take students who have seen what the medical environment is like... sorta knowing what they are getting into (like volunteering in the ER, or working as a phlebotomist or something). The student government part of your epxerience can be good in that it shows you are a leader and that others look to you to be a leader. So that is a bonus too. The admissions proscess is pretty competitive, so you will find everyone doing anything they can to make themselves more noticeable. Good luck!

what I noticed most by the questions on my interviews, especially at DO institutions, was that they cared about who I was. They have your whole application in front of them. They have STUDIED those papers! They don't need you to regurgitate that back during your interview. They want to know why you did what you did. Did you flub your grades one semester because of some hard time? Did you join a club because you were really interested? These are things they want to know from you. The interview is your chance to make some friends!
smile.gif

------------------
-mz

Members don't see this ad :)
dlacroix:

First of all, let me say this...

It isn't so much WHAT you do, but is what you are doing important to you and are you able to balance that along with school.

Don't join clubs because someone told you that you need to be President of the pre-med society to get into med school.

Don't run for an SGA office just because you think it will "look good", because then you may find yourself in a tough spot trying to explain why you took that position.

Rather, do things that appeal to the kind of person you are.

As for myself, I pledged a Fraternity. Now, this isn't for everyone, but it certainly gave me an opportunity to meet people, gain leadership experience, and to make tons of connections (1 D.O. and 3 med students are recent alums).

I am also a Peer Counselor as well as am Ambassador for my school. These positions allow me to show my pride for my school as well as helping others feel comfortable here.

I volunteer with an Ambulance Service back home during the summer (I am an EMT), I work in a pharmacy, and I am a Certified Nurses Aid.

Volunteering in the ER of a hospital is great, but 90% of premeds do that. So DON'T let people tell you that you NEED to do that. Sure, it looks good, but do something that sets you apart. I worked in hospice care for two years. Sure, I didn't see the fast paced action medicine, but I saw what it means to be a caring and compassionate health care provider.

Volunteer at local schools. I know a premed who went back to his old elementary school and now helps his old science teacher teach her 4th grade class.

My point is, have fun with your activities. This will allow you to speak passionately about what you have done and to truly enjoy your time in school.

Just make sure your grades are high as well.

Best of luck to you!

------------------
Joshua Paul Hazelton, CNA, EMT-B
[email protected]
University of the Sciences in Philadelphia (2002)
"D.O. Wannabe"

Along the same lines as the previous poster, you may want to consider getting some extracurriculars that are OUTSIDE of the school / medical setting. Personally, I am a member of 2 car clubs, and volunteer at the Humane Society, EPA, and several other organizations off and on. These outside activities looked really nice when I was faced with a couple secondaries that asked for activities OUTSIDE school / medical experience....

As was mentioned previously, they want to make sure you're a well-rounded person...not just a cookie-cutter applicant who has "connected-the-dots" to get into medical school. Interesting hobbies are a BIG plus too! The first interview question I got was "So, you race cars, huh?"!! Good Luck!

Activities outside of school are more important than you can believe. I have a strong academic record (G.P.A. 3.8 and an MCAT of 27), but overall I felt that my activities outside of school were as important. It almost seemed that the interviews revolved around the various activities I was involved with. As you I have been involved with student government too as (Speaker of the House). I have also been president of Mortar Board National Honor Society, president of Theta Chi Fraternity, president of my residence hall, and various other activities. Another word of advice is get involved in research. I have been doing research for the University of Akron for 3 years and have been published. Research seemed to come up alot in all of my interviews, and many interviewers told me my research caught their eyes the most. So be as involved as you can. So far I have been Accepted at 7 DO schools. I will be attending KCOM.
GOOD LUCK!!!!!

Activities are important but do not let them substitute for good grades. If your grades are not good then a nice resume won't replace that. It is the grades and MCATs that get you past the preliminary review and to the interview.