muscle O/I, blood supply, innervation, action

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

thegrandbull

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
first year DO here. Having very little success just trying to memorize the above information. i get it, then i just forget it in a few days. i can't seem to draw any connections or patterns that really help either. any advice? also, is this a good place to post this sort of question? is there a better forum for content related questions?

thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Also a first year, had much more success learning these things when I could visualize the specific anatomy. Anki has been really helpful. I ended up putting material like "What is the insertion for...this muscle?" The card would then have an image of that specific muscle to keep it in my head. Then I just build on top of that knowledge and add in extra details. I know it's going to have an innervation by a nearby nerve and artery, so if I can visualize the pathway of the nerves and arteries in the relevant anatomy you can usually make a good guess on what supplies what.

All in all, lots of repetition and really putting an effort to visualize the anatomy has been helpful

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Also a first year, had much more success learning these things when I could visualize the specific anatomy. Anki has been really helpful. I ended up putting material like "What is the insertion for...this muscle?" The card would then have an image of that specific muscle to keep it in my head. Then I just build on top of that knowledge and add in extra details. I know it's going to have an innervation by a nearby nerve and artery, so if I can visualize the pathway of the nerves and arteries in the relevant anatomy you can usually make a good guess on what supplies what.

All in all, lots of repetition and really putting an effort to visualize the anatomy has been helpful
ive been using a program called Complete Anatomy. it's pretty useful. and i do use that program to make anki flashcards with images on them. probably my best bet, huh? i think i may try to draw stuff out too.. Matter of getting familiar with the geography of the body, i suppose. so i can draw connections rather than just remember things that have no real location in my mind

Forget O/I. Low yield. Useless. Do greys questions for stuff you must know for lecture ie median/ulnar nerve stuff. For lab = hammer in Anki.

Second scoopdaboop on not focusing on Origin/insertion. Focus on blood supply/innervation/action and any clinical correlates discussed in class.

Start with the most important things and stuff you’ll likely see on the test first. Just as innervarion/blood supply/ function.

Forget O/I. Low yield. Useless. Do greys questions for stuff you must know for lecture ie median/ulnar nerve stuff. For lab = hammer in Anki.

I agree somewhat. I think it’s better to get the major origin/insertion patterns down because it helps with understanding (and can help on anatomy practicals). For example nearly all the forearm flexors insert on the medial epicondyle of the humerus.

I liked dope anatomy deck, but I would just not use the origin insertion cards as much and focus more on innervation/action cards

Gray’s is fire. Anki helps too. I also really liked UMich (free online) for when I was still learning the concepts since they’re easier and drill the same thing multiple times in a row. Agreed with the above that O/I is the lowest yield

Grey's anatomy questions are great to get constant repetition. I used anatomyzone content on Youtube for the first pass when we started a new section. Spent a lot of time in the anatomy lab and with my nose in netters. When I started dreaming about anatomy, I knew I got it.

Anki all your powerpoints for this stuff.
I'm sure if you dive deep enough there's a deck out there covering majority of this stuff.

Definitely agree with not bothering with origins and insertions. One or two questions on your test on low yield stuff like that isn't worth stressing over. Focus on relevant blood supply, innervation and action. Actions can be deduced if you know where the muscle is located in general. If you can't seem to deduce it, then brute force it - anki is your best friend. Download an anatomy deck on the reddit med school anki sub and start hitting the spacebar.

For practice questions I used BlueLink from U Michigan and Gray's. If you can do these, you are golden.

I never took an Anatomy course and had success by using Dope Anatomy (only innervations and actions) and making Anki cards from class PowerPoints. I would also watch Acland Anatomy videos to get a visual and motion down. It can be easy if you drill the anki cards!

Learning the muscle origin and insertions will get you most of the questions correct. They also become the most important when you start to think about orthopedic issues.

For function, you can visualize how a contracting muscle would change the relationship between the two bones.

Usually, the nerve that is closest to the muscle innervates it. Same goes for main arteries. Knowing the origin and insertion of a muscle can help you create a mental map of where it is located. Then you just have to remember the location of the nerves and arteries in relation to the muscle.