Extra Classes vs. Work

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Med430

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, initially I posted this on the Pre-Allo forum but figured i'd try it with people who are somewhat in the same boat. I am a non-traditional postbacc student....I worked for four years after undergrad in a non-medically related field. I decided to apply to medical school two years ago and have been taking just the required coursework for the past year and a half. I have taken the MCAT and am applying this year. I was considering working this year full time while finishing up my Orgo labs but then wondered how important it is to take classes such as Biochem which is not required for the schools i'm applying to. So far i've worked in a clinic and have done volunteer work...I will most likely be looking for full time work in the healthcare field (perhaps research). I am currently enrolled in Biochem but it's given twice a week and not late enough in the day for me to be able to work full time hours...so finding it difficult to find a job because of it. Will the schools even see or care about my grades for this course at this point? Will they be more impressed if I have an interesting research position or an A in this class? Please keep in mind that after this whole process of taking all the required coursework and the application process, I am feeling a bit burnt out and would rather not stress about anymore classes unless I really have to. Thanks for any thoughts!

Members don't see this ad.

The class will probably not do much for your app this year. It may help if you need to reapply next cycle.

If you feel confident about getting in this year, I would ditch the class and work to try to save up money. You can always try to learn the material on your own over the next year.

My gut reaction says get some extra medical exposure or research. These experiences are invaluable, especially when your application is evaluated. However, if you are already a strong applicant you need not look past the benefit the class could have once you matriculate. These courses not only help you get in, but help you once you are in.

I agree that it depends on whether you applied and how strong your application is.

Research is usually helpful in an application.