extra courses for science gpa? and help choosing schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pbure

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
whats up everyone
i plan on submitting aadsas in about a week or so. but i am debating whether i should take 2 courses at my home university for science gpa purposes. one is an introductory chem course called 'chemistry in our lives' for non-science students (im a bio major) and the other is a geology course called 'earth moon and planets'.
q1: should i bother with these courses considering schools would only get my updated gpa around mid august?
q2: how sharp are adcoms exactly? will they look down on me not taking upper level science courses (i have plenty of those as it is tho) instead of introductory 200 level courses which are pretty much guaranteed A or A-? or is it in my best interests to raise my science gpa no matter what?

o also..would i be wasting my time applying to detroit-mercy,pittsburgh and u of michigan? not sure about those 3..
thanks

Members don't see this ad.

this is tricky, but here's my $0.03

i would not bother with those classes to raise you sGPA
look at the basic science curriculum at some dental schools and stick with those subjects:
anatomy, physiology, embryology, nutrition, biochem, micro, immuno

unless you really dig geology and can pull off an A, there is absolutely no use if the aim is to make you more competitive
and xtra chem classes usually spell trouble, xcept biochem 'cause it's more bio than chem
(stick with your bio line-up)
repeat basic classes if you have a nice amount and trend in bio classes
no use in taking more challenging classes when you proved you make an A in upper div bio classes

sorry to make it confusing & good luck!