PLS HELP FOR PLANNED COURSES!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

itsmemario123

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi so I have some english pre-reqs I have to do but im going to be taking them the summer of 2023, how do I add these courses to my aadsas? wouldnt I need a transcript to verify that I am going to take it? but i did not even register for the courses yet, any help would be really appreciated

Members don't see this ad.

Make sure that if you are planning on taking summer courses, they do not overlap with the beginning of class D1 year. You dont need a transcript proving you are taking these classes, just place them in planned courses on AADSAS. You will verify that you have taken these classes when schools request transcripts during fall/spring/summer to prove that these have been taken and passed.

Thank you, i already submitted my app to a number of schools, will this look bad that I did not already place my planned courses?

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you, i already submitted my app to a number of schools, will this look bad that I did not already place my planned courses?
I'm still a little confused that you plan to take prerequisites the summer before dental school classes begin. That doesn't give you a lot of time to savor the transition process should you wind up getting an offer before you begin. Of course, if you wind up being on alternate lists through the summer, you may be a real wreck hoping that you can pass the class and get your offer.

To your question, it might look a little curious that you still haven't taken English prerequisites. Do you not have other general education courses or other writing-intensive courses in another department?

thanks for the concern. I am an engineering major, so I was not required to take english classes or writing intensive ones.

Okay... the question I asked might be awkward, but for college degrees within the United States, there are usually general education requirement courses that have to be taken (I think it is needed for accreditation), which would include a composition requirement. Most universities should attest to ensuring that students attain a certain growth in writing and reading competencies as shown by various writing-intensive courses and seminars. Most of those classes are taken in freshman year (no later than sophomore year), and even engineering curricula I have reviewed has a component of writing (in English) as a degree or program requirement. Consequently, most if not all US bachelor's degree students can get the English/composition/writing requirement very early, so it would look a little odd to me that you would have one late in your academic experience.

Canadian schools do not have this same requirement, so I often see a lot of science majors from Canadian universities where they only take science and math courses and nothing in humanities, social sciences, or writing. These are the students that I generally see playing late catch-up to fulfill the English requirement to complete their prereqs before starting dental school. I also see a number of pharmacy school applicants who delay getting their speech course requirement, but they would generally already have their writing requirement in.

Okay... the question I asked might be awkward, but for college degrees within the United States, there are usually general education requirement courses that have to be taken (I think it is needed for accreditation), which would include a composition requirement. Most universities should attest to ensuring that students attain a certain growth in writing and reading competencies as shown by various writing-intensive courses and seminars. Most of those classes are taken in freshman year (no later than sophomore year), and even engineering curricula I have reviewed has a component of writing (in English) as a degree or program requirement. Consequently, most if not all US bachelor's degree students can get the English/composition/writing requirement very early, so it would look a little odd to me that you would have one late in your academic experience.

Canadian schools do not have this same requirement, so I often see a lot of science majors from Canadian universities where they only take science and math courses and nothing in humanities, social sciences, or writing. These are the students that I generally see playing late catch-up to fulfill the English requirement to complete their prereqs before starting dental school. I also see a number of pharmacy school applicants who delay getting their speech course requirement, but they would generally already have their writing requirement in.
I agree that schools require you to complete your writing/composition courses early. But I also was in a similar boat as OP. I passed out of my composition/English writing courses before attending college so I never had to take them. I did, however, take writing-intensive courses but they weren't "English". I had to confirm with my schools that those courses would count for their English/writing requirement. So far all my schools said they would take them so I, fortunately, do not have to take an English or composition course. My official transcript doesn't describe what AP credits I was granted so that's part of the reason why I had to reach out to schools. Some do take AP credits.

Reactions: 1 user