Extra curricular activies

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

smarin87

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hello, I am currently a Junior Pre-phamr at U. of San Francisco. My question is, what are the types of extracurricular activities/ community service that phamracy amdissions look for. Does it all have to be phamracy related? Or can it be other things such as volunteering with the elderly or at a blood bank.

Members don't see this ad.

Any extracurricular is good. You want to show you have a long-term committment to something. It is always good to have some pharmacy experience also, so don't completely ignore this either.

What is important isn't what you do, but the skills, the mentality, and the maturity you develop through the activity. Think about the professionalism and the requirements of becoming a successful pharmacist. You can bet the admissions committees are looking for exactly the same thing. Be prepared to explain the significance of every activity.

Members don't see this ad :)
Joining the pre-pharmacy club, pre-health club, etc. is a bonus, but is not a prerequisite for getting into pharmacy school. Whatever activity you pursue, it's better to have sustained effort with a demanding club. Some clubs are rather slow and unproductive.

Like binghamkid said, the development you get from these clubs lead to a wholesome personal statement and interview. The abundance of clubs leads to some filler reading when an adcom reviews hundreds of applications. Everybody will have a few ecs in their apps making you have to distinguish yourself elsewhere.

check out the sticky on the top of the pre-pharmacy forum

leadership is a big +

same with

pharmacy work/ research

Kind of silly question. :)
If I play tennis, does it count as an extracurricular activity. I am a pretty lousy player (2.5) Should I mention it anywhere in my PharmCas application?

Kind of silly question. :)
If I play tennis, does it count as an extracurricular activity. I am a pretty lousy player (2.5) Should I mention it anywhere in my PharmCas application?

Tennis is an extracurricular activity, whether your good or not. I don't think they're going to care if your the next tennis champion, but rather that you've devoted time to something and stuck with it. They will probably never even know how well you play.