Extra curricular Activities

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dganaden

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
What type of extra curricular activities do the schools look at?

I have a 3.37 undergrad degree in telecommunications and a 3.08 in just pure sciences. I am still working on getting my MCAT in the mid 20s. I left a good paying job as an auto mechanic to try and get into med school. I went to work at a local hospital making hardly anything to get some medical experiance. I also went and got my EMT-B. I try and shadow a doctor a the hospital about 3-4 times a month and have been doing that for about 8 months now. I have 3 DO rec. letters from alumni from the school I want to go to.

What else do the DO schools look at?

What else should I be trying to do to get in for the fall of 2006.

Any help would be great.

Thanks,

Members don't see this ad.

Well, it looks like you already have way above average clinical exposure which is definately one of the most important things. The only other thing I might suggest would be some non-paid volunteer work in something that interests you. It could be something totally random that you're just into, or something along the lines of a crisis or suicide hotline, a hospice organization, or pretty much anything. Volunteermatch.org is a good website for finding unique volunteer opportunities in your area.

Aim high on your MCAT. Good luck!

I have a question for you, which is one interviewers are likely going to ask you. Ater majoring in telecommunications and then becoming an automobile mechanic, why and how did you decide you wanted to become a physician?

As for your GPA and MCAT, they are below the averages, and so my advice is to apply to lots of schools so that you increase your chances.

Members don't see this ad :)
NeuroDO said:
I have a question for you, which is one interviewers are likely going to ask you. Ater majoring in telecommunications and then becoming an automobile mechanic, why and how did you decide you wanted to become a physician?

As for your GPA and MCAT, they are below the averages, and so my advice is to apply to lots of schools so that you increase your chances.

After highschool I became an auto mechanic just because I did not feel that I was good enough to go to college. I am also one of those people that can do something once with their hands and remember how to do it forever. I always wanted to become a doctor, but my family never really supported me in what I did. 11 years after I graduated high school I went to school and got my BS. That was OK till I could not find a job in the field. Then I had a close family member pass away. Something just clicked in my and I decided to do what I wanted and quit everything and go for it. So here I am.

dganaden said:
After highschool I became an auto mechanic just because I did not feel that I was good enough to go to college. I am also one of those people that can do something once with their hands and remember how to do it forever. I always wanted to become a doctor, but my family never really supported me in what I did. 11 years after I graduated high school I went to school and got my BS. That was OK till I could not find a job in the field. Then I had a close family member pass away. Something just clicked in my and I decided to do what I wanted and quit everything and go for it. So here I am.
good luck :luck:

I'd shoot for better then mid-20's. That will take some of the slack off your gpa.

Buckeye(OH) said:
I'd shoot for better then mid-20's. That will take some of the slack off your gpa.

I agree. If you can walk into your interviews with a low/mid 30's MCAT instead of mid 20's you'll have a much better time conveying your motivation, drive, and ability to succeed during the first two years.

dganaden said:
What type of extra curricular activities do the schools look at?

I have a 3.37 undergrad degree in telecommunications and a 3.08 in just pure sciences. I am still working on getting my MCAT in the mid 20s. I left a good paying job as an auto mechanic to try and get into med school. I went to work at a local hospital making hardly anything to get some medical experiance. I also went and got my EMT-B. I try and shadow a doctor a the hospital about 3-4 times a month and have been doing that for about 8 months now. I have 3 DO rec. letters from alumni from the school I want to go to.

What else do the DO schools look at?

What else should I be trying to do to get in for the fall of 2006.

Any help would be great.

Thanks,

Do something with your EMT-B, such as volunteer on the ambulance. This will really help. If not, at least get paid to do it.

OSUdoc08 said:
Do something with your EMT-B, such as volunteer on the ambulance. This will really help. If not, at least get paid to do it.

I am thinking about doing some volunteering with the American Red Cross as a first aid station attendant.

I just took another MCAT practice test and am now at a 26. That’s sure better then the 13 that I actually got on last Augusts test. These old AAMC tests sure seem harder then the one last year. I hope so.