extra curricular activities

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

KatieNC

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Im currently a junior in college and my goal is to be admitted into podiatry school. I know for medical school a huge aspect of your application is volunteer work. Does anyone know how important volunteering or working at a medical facility is? I know they want you to shadow a podiatrist, and i have already done that 3 times. i was just curiouse how important volunteering is. thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

KatieNC said:
Im currently a junior in college and my goal is to be admitted into podiatry school. I know for medical school a huge aspect of your application is volunteer work. Does anyone know how important volunteering or working at a medical facility is? I know they want you to shadow a podiatrist, and i have already done that 3 times. i was just curiouse how important volunteering is. thanks!

what ever you decide to do, volunteer, research, join clubs, student government, getting wasted to raise money for a good cause, sports...just make sure it is something that you are pationate about. you should get as much out of volunteering if not more than those you are trying to help.

when the admissions committee asks about your activities they will be able to tell if it is padding the resume or something that you had a passion for.

it is important in any profession that you become involved in your community so in that respect I'd say pick something that interests you and go for it.

it does not have to be volunteering in a hospital or even health related.

KatieNC said:

Volunteer work is very important on interviews. However, it is important to do a multitude of volunteer work in different areas. Schools certainly want to see you spending time volunteering in a hospital, but they also want to see you volunteering at a local soup kitchen or at the Boys and Girls Club. Schools really want to see a well-rounded person that just hasn't volunteered in medical to create an impressive resume.

Members don't see this ad :)
KatieNC said:
More important than any specific thing, you need to realize that research, volunteer, clinical, and shadowing experience is not some list to check off. They want to see these types of experiences because of WHO you have BECOME from them, not so they can check these off of their list. As you participate in these activities, take the time to reflect on why you are different now or what "big picture" area of your life has been opened now that you've participated in such activities. As you do this, the change in WHO you have BECOME will be evident to those who interview you. THIS is what matters most.

AZPOD Rocks

AZPOD Rocks said:
More important than any specific thing, you need to realize that research, volunteer, clinical, and shadowing experience is not some list to check off. They want to see these types of experiences because of WHO you have BECOME from them, not so they can check these off of their list. As you participate in these activities, take the time to reflect on why you are different now or what "big picture" area of your life has been opened now that you've participated in such activities. As you do this, the change in WHO you have BECOME will be evident to those who interview you. THIS is what matters most.

AZPOD Rocks

Well spoken. There are few things I despise more than feigned volunteerism for personal advancement.

My advice would be volunteer in things that you are actually interested in so that you may be modt helpful and cheerful in the process.

You don't, in my opinion, need to cram yourself into a cookie cutter medical profile that doesn't match you, the medical cookie.