Extra Curriculars

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FuturedrA1

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
If I do yoga on a regular basis, is that considered an extra curricular worth mentioning in a med school app? Just curious. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Obviously, it is going to be important to have extracurricular activities that are directly relevant to the medical profession (e.g., research, shadowing, etc.). However, if you love and seriously engage in an unrelated activity (e.g., yoga, mountain climbing, etc.), that activity can be important as well. The key in my opinion is to demonstrate passion for those activities and to show how they make you a happier/better person. I firmly believe that most medical schools want well-rounded, passionate, likable and happy students. Often I think about applications as follows: If you were watching a movie about the "character" portrayed in the application, would you root for that character? If the answer is "yes", the applicant is doing something right.

Reactions: 1 user
If I do yoga on a regular basis, is that considered an extra curricular worth mentioning in a med school app? Just curious. Thanks.
Having an entry for Hobbies (and/or Artistic Endeavors) in the Activities section is always worth including. It helps to differentiate you from other applicants who tend to have very-similar ECs otherwise. Adcomms like to know that you have leisuretime, stress-relieving activities. They may also serve as a point of common interest to get the conversation started with an interviewer.

Reactions: 1 users