extra curriculars

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Bito42

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Do extra curriculars matter a lot on the residency application? I'm considering running for class rep...we meet monthly with faculty/deans and also plan annual events (career fair, formal, etc). But I would honestly be doing it mostly for the interaction with the faculty/deans and something else good to put on my resume. Is this worth it? (i'm about to start MSIII in april...)

Members don't see this ad.

Do extra curriculars matter a lot on the residency application? I'm considering running for class rep...we meet monthly with faculty/deans and also plan annual events (career fair, formal, etc). But I would honestly be doing it mostly for the interaction with the faculty/deans and something else good to put on my resume. Is this worth it? (i'm about to start MSIII in april...)

There are several benefits of extracurricular interests, some or none of which may apply to the question asked above:

1. If interesting and unique, this helps you stand out as an applicant (doesn't seem to apply to above)
2. Demonstrates that you are multidimensional (applies to above)
3. Demonstrates leadership (applies to above)
4. Can help develop relationships with influencial people within your institution. This can certainly help if you want to stay at your institution for residency. It can also help if a certain faculty member trained at a place you may want to go (may apply to above)
5. Gives you something to talk about during your interview (not likely with the above activity)

Overall, there is more of an extracurricular gestalt that goes into your application to make you less one dimensional. If the above activity is going to take away from you rocking 3rd year and getting that A or honors in your medicine clerkship, then I would say don't bother. The most important thing is to rock 3rd year and guarantee the highest grade possible in medicine.
Good luck!

Your residency application is a great reason, nay, the only reason, for you to volunteer to serve your fellow classmates. I congradulate you on realizing this. Bravo, Sir! Just remember to bring this up in residency interviews, and point out that the reason you "served" is to kiss up to those deans and impress your residency interviewers and how it shows a real commitment to yourself that less selfish people lack.

Now, are you sure you want to do medicine and not something to really help people, like derm? Or maybe radiology, because you "love technology" (and golfing). But if you must stick with medicine, I suggest allergy or maybe interventional cardiology, as that's where the money is. The hours suck, but by the time your realize that it will be too late.

Members don't see this ad :)
hey man, at least the OP is honest!

doing extracurriculars is definitely a big plus. you mentioned a student govt position, but how about something you might find interest in...like an indoor soccer team or bowling league or running club? remember that extracurriculars don't HAVE to be school related.

if you want school related stuff with leadership, then student govt is a great one to do, or maybe represent your school at AMA.

good luck.

Your residency application is a great reason, nay, the only reason, for you to volunteer to serve your fellow classmates. I congradulate you on realizing this. Bravo, Sir! Just remember to bring this up in residency interviews, and point out that the reason you "served" is to kiss up to those deans and impress your residency interviewers and how it shows a real commitment to yourself that less selfish people lack.

Now, are you sure you want to do medicine and not something to really help people, like derm? Or maybe radiology, because you "love technology" (and golfing). But if you must stick with medicine, I suggest allergy or maybe interventional cardiology, as that's where the money is. The hours suck, but by the time your realize that it will be too late.

Medical school and residency are the only reasons I have done any extra curricular activities! But I do want to go into cards..... never mind.

I've done plenty of extra curriculars that I'm passionate about--leading homeless clinic, soccer, health and human rights work, teaching, etc etc. I'm talking about this SPECIFIC extra curricular and the fact that I'm on the fence and the possibility that residencies consider it may make me lean towards doing it. I appreciate the honest answers and could do without the sarcastic one (though I'm working on developing some thicker skin so I appreciate that one as well :)).

I agree with CJamblooze's comments. Also, there was a study done to determine what factors in an applicant's application might predict future success as an emergency medicine resident. Having a "distinctive factor" was shown to be a good predictor of future performance. Among the factors considered distinctive was being a class officer. The authors suggested that perhaps these factors should carry greater weight in the selection process (Hayden SR, Hayden M, and Gamst A. What characteristics of applicants to emergency medicine residency programs predict future success as an emergency medicine resident. Acad Emerg Med. 2005 Mar;12(3):206-10).