Worth taking an extra year to increase chances of getting GI?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

future_doc9898

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I am a rising freshman at a mid-tier BS/MD program that is 7 years long. I have the option of taking an extra year of undergrad (making it 8 years) to apply out to top medical schools. The MD school in this 7 year program has a GI fellowship and has many research opportunities. Is it worth taking an extra year of undergrad for the chance of going to a top medical school in order to increase my future competitiveness for a good IM residency which will increase my chances of attaining a GI fellowship? I know that GI is the most competitive fellowship after IM and when I apply it might be 9-10 years from now.

Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

You shouldn't even be thinking about GI fellowship for another 8-9 years (that's IF you even end up choosing IM residency and then pursuing GI fellowship afterwards - keep an open mind in med school). But to answer your question, not worth it IMO. Sure, a top med school will afford you a huge upper hand in matching into a "top" IM program which would make applying to GI fellowship that much easier but getting into a top medical school is not a guarantee by any means. You're already locked into a mid tier US MD program and assuming you work hard in med school, you will be able to match into a reputable IM program and match GI thereafter. FWIW, I went to a low tier UD MD school, worked my butt off, and felt like I had the my pick of the litter more or less when I applied to IM programs. However, if you asked me the same questions but said you were gung ho about going into Derm/Ortho/Plastics etc then maybe I'd think twice before saying no. Looking at match lists from schools like mine and then comparing it to those of top schools, they sure match into those specialties in droves.

With that said, if you wanna take an extra year of undergrad to study abroad/travel/live your best college life (whatever that means in this pandemic age), then by all means I encourage you to do that. But if you're doing it for the sole purpose of trying to gamble on getting into a top med school for the sake of GI fellowship - stick with your BS/MD program and don't look back.

Reactions: 1 user
agreed. for purposes of getting into any specific field, do NOT extend your BS/MD to 8 years. In my opinion, it is not worth taking the time, money, and risk. You will have plenty of opportunity to excel during the med school portion of your BS/MD and get into a good residency. your chances of getting into GI from Harvard residency vs other well-regarded residency may be slightly higher, but overall would not be appreciably higher to justify the time, money, and risk.

again, if you want to take a year to 'live your best college life' as mentioned above, then do it. but NOT for your career.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey man, just focus on having a college life. Like seriously, meet a girl/guy, live it up. The last thing you should think about right now is GI fellowship. I'm a pretty big gunner myself, but you're going to burn the **** out.

Hey man, just focus on having a college life. Like seriously, meet a girl/guy, live it up. The last thing you should think about right now is GI fellowship. I'm a pretty big gunner myself, but you're going to burn the **** out.
How is OP supposed to impress a girl/guy without a game plan to get into Derm or GI though?!