Extra LORs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

P0tat0dude

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
OK, so I have a question about how medical school committees process your application in relation to the LORs they expect to receive from you. I'm probably worrying over nothing but I just wanted to make sure.

In my case, my school's application committee has already sent a packet of letters for me to all of the schools I'm applying to via AMCAS. These letters alone fulfill the minimum LOR requirements for most schools (i.e, it has two science faculty, one non-science faculty, etc.)

However, I also plan to send additional personal letters from individuals who know me well (research mentors, doctors) to a few schools where I feel could give a strong boost to my application, also via AMCAS. The catch is that these letters will probably not be sent out until at least a month or so.

My question is that if a med school has already received my AMCAS and secondary app as well as my primary LOR packet, BUT are also expecting to receive the additional letters, will my application be put on hold and delayed until they receive these letters? Or will they just go ahead and start processing my stuff as soon as they get at least the minimum number of required letters?

Members don't see this ad.

My question is that if a med school has already received my AMCAS and secondary app as well as my primary LOR packet, BUT are also expecting to receive the additional letters, will my application be put on hold and delayed until they receive these letters? Or will they just go ahead and start processing my stuff as soon as they get at least the minimum number of required letters?
As long as you've sent in the minimum required letters and the rest of your app is complete, it can be processed. You can send additional letters (usually 2-3 for a total of 5-6 letters in all) at any point in the app cycle. But if you're hoping those letters will help you get an interview, it's best to submit them as quickly as possible. Best of luck to you w/ your apps. :)

:thumbup: Agree. To be safe, I'd get the app sent out with the minimum letters. Later on, you can "surprise" them with additional letters. Schools are pretty good about amending your file. Just get them out as soon as possible so that they can start helping as soon as possible.