Extra time on exams

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CaffineDoc24

Reaction score
For years I have received accommodations for extra time on exams due to a documented disability. However, as a current M1 I am hesitant to ask my school for accommodations since it is handled by the Deans's Office. If I disclose the disability, will it affect my letters of rec for residency? I wouldn't want it mentioned in the Dean's letter. So far, our quizzes haven't had much time pressure (we have been given an enormous of time per question for some reason). But, I'm scared future exams won't be the same. I only need/request 25% extra time, which means if I don't have it, it won't completely ruin my grades. I just end up not doing as well as I could have, and rush a lot towards the end on exams where most people finish early.

Members don't see this ad.

For years I have received accommodations for extra time on exams due to a documented disability. However, as a current M1 I am hesitant to ask my school for accommodations since it is handled by the Deans's Office. If I disclose the disability, will it affect my letters of rec for residency? I wouldn't want it mentioned in the Dean's letter. So far, our quizzes haven't had much time pressure (we have been given an enormous of time per question for some reason). But, I'm scared future exams won't be the same. I only need/request 25% extra time, which means if I don't have it, it won't completely ruin my grades. I just end up not doing as well as I could have, and rush a lot towards the end on exams where most people finish early.

If it’s documented and you’ve received for years, just ask for it. Did you get it for MCAT? Do you want it for steps? It may make or break your scores

Reactions: 2 users
Dude if there is ANY chance you'll need accommodations to comfortably pass USMLEs, you better get that started now. You do not get tons of time per question then, and that's when it counts.

• Love
Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
It is very unlikely testing accommodations would be mentioned in the deans letter. They want you to match. It’s more work for them and poor form if their students don’t match. The kinds of “negative” things that would go in a deans letter would be more like institutional actions or significant and repeated lapses in professionalism that programs would need to be warned about and things that would need to be explained. There would be no reason to put testing accommodations in there.

If you have received testing accommodations in the past, then you should apply for it again.

Besides the person handling your paperwork in determining your accommodations eligibility and the people in-charge of exams (administering, proctoring, etc.), no one else has know about your accommodations. I believe it is against the ADA rule to disclose such info to a person or an organization without your consent.

“Testing” itself isn’t “real life job situations”.
True it's much tougher staying on top of all the orders, consults, plan updates, etc during busy rounding than it ever was answering 1 MCQ per minute in a quiet room...

Reactions: 3 users
Not going to be a popular response but completing questions with a sufficient level of accuracy within the usual time allotted is a bare minimum to being able to practice medicine. In real life practice, it’s just as much about speed.

Not going to be a popular response but completing questions with a sufficient level of accuracy within the usual time allotted is a bare minimum to being able to practice medicine. In real life practice, it’s just as much about speed.
And I'm not even just talking about Physician's. This is any job, cashier, receptionist, etc. There are no accommodation

• Inappropriate
Programs can literally cut you if you cant keep up.

This is HIPAA protected info

Reactions: 1 user