Extractions/Dealing with blood

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

xkc9126x

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi sorry if this is a stupid question ... i wanted to know if there's any dealing with blood or extractions during clinicals in dental school?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad.

Hi sorry if this is a stupid question ... i wanted to know if there's any dealing with blood or extractions during clinicals in dental school?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I mean, considering that even putting on a rubber dam makes patients bleed from the gums, yes there is going to be blood. And oral surgery is part of dental school, so yes to extractions.

Reactions: 1 user
Yes, even just normal cleanings will often cause patients to bleed.

Members don't see this ad :)
IMG_0073_zpsmhr9xyh1.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_0073.JPG
    IMG_0073.JPG
    22.7 KB · Views: 77
Reactions: 4 users
Oh yeah and wait until you learn about the how far saliva can travel when your assistant is not trained to suction properly, when you are working on a patient seeing blood isn't the same as just observing, but if you are not one who can handle blood, you may wanna stay clear for dentistry because dentistry can be pretty bloody (improper dental care, dental cleanings, gingival bleeding, extractions, etc.)

Reactions: 1 users
@Carude, @Munks, @OhioDMD, @HelicaseInitiator hi all, thank you for ur reply. Sorry I even asked that question bc after I read and saw your replies, I realized how stupid my question was phrased. yes I already know oral surgery is a part of dentistry and part of dental school. I have been working at a dental office for a couple years now. I know about the different types of procedures that can be done including extractions/deep cleaning/improper suctioning etc.

What I actually meant to ask or hope to get an answer for was whether extractions is part of a requirement to graduate/complete your degree? For example, do you need 10/x amount of extractions to pass clinicals etc?

Maybe that's even a stupid question too sorry - why do i need to know? Eh... just asking. I could ask the dentists I'm working with but they graduated about 15 years ago so was wondering if the requirements changed

Yeah. Extractions are a necessary part of dentistry. Are you uncomfortable with the procedure?

At my school, they dropped the numerical requirement of things, and shifted more to a competent care curriculum, where you are assigned patients and take them all from beginning to end, whatever they may have.

The exception to this is oral surgery. We are assigned oral surgery rotations and must do the full scope of whatever a general practitioner may do, in addition to hospital rotations in our 4th year. So yes, extractions are more or less mandatory.

Extractions are mandatory before graduation for all dental schools. Some schools require less than 10, where as others require more. I know a few Rutgers students have actually done more than 20 own their own volition.

What we need is dentistry without the teeth part.

Less than 10?! Thats kind of alarming. I would hope that schools would want students more prepared to extract problem teeth. Its not like extractions are hard to come by (like implants or molar endo).

If anyone has a low requirement for extractionsat their school, please go above and beyond that requirement. It's better to deal with the tough surgical extractions now while you have access to an oral surgeon right there to bail you out if anything goes wrong.

Reactions: 2 users
First week of dental school, ask your OMFS program if you can watch them do a bicoronal flap in the OR. You'll get desensitized to blood real quick. ;)

At UCLA, there is zero requirement to extract teeth. You must do a 3-4 week rotation in 4th year and I know of some clowns that got by without taking any teeth out. In the end, it doesn't matter because they simply won't be taking teeth out in their practice anyways and will refer all extractions to OMFS. Free money for me.

Plus I know of plenty of general dentists that don't do extractions. And doing 10-20 in dental school with help right around the corner makes you go from inexperienced to still inexperienced. It don't matter.

First week of dental school, ask your OMFS program if you can watch them do a bicoronal flap in the OR. You'll get desensitized to blood real quick. ;)
thats what i did!! not to get desensitized, but i just wanted in on this surgery!

but yea... extractions are part of school. some do 5, some do 50, some do hundreds.

Attachments

• IMG_0596.JPG
    IMG_0596.JPG
    67.7 KB · Views: 59
  • IMG_0597.JPG
    IMG_0597.JPG
    61.8 KB · Views: 59