Improving extraction skills

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dentite24

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
D3 here! Finding it difficult to improve on extraction skills. During these covid times I feel the opportunities have dropped to have a lot of extraction experience. Really not getting much better at elevating, finding it difficult to ever really get a good purchase point...
Any way I can practice doing this? Are there any cheap but good extraction typodonts out there?
Any really good youtube channels on teeth extraction?
Advice in general??

Members don't see this ad.

D3 here! Finding it difficult to improve on extraction skills. During these covid times I feel the opportunities have dropped to have a lot of extraction experience. Really not getting much better at elevating, finding it difficult to ever really get a good purchase point...
Any way I can practice doing this? Are there any cheap but good extraction typodonts out there?
Advice in general??

Intentionally turn it into a surgical extraction for every tooth you remove in dental school, if you want to practice using the sx handpiece.

Intentionally turn it into a surgical extraction for every tooth you remove in dental school, if you want to practice using the sx handpiece.

how?

it is okay to start every tooth as surgical (section into individual roots to remove separately) but if you say just broke crown off with pieces of root stuck in bone and end up removing more bone when you could have prevented it is very unethical and shady imho

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
how?

it is okay to start every tooth as surgical (section into individual roots to remove separately) but if you say just broke crown off with pieces of root stuck in bone and end up removing more bone when you could have prevented it is very unethical and shady imho
Yeah it seems kinda messed up to intentionally screw up and mess with the pts gingiva and bone. This isn't a typodont, its a real human being

Reactions: 4 users
Advice in general??
OP make an account at dental town.com and read the I would like to extract teeth thread. Its basically a bunch of pictures of xrays and teeth and how the dentist got out the tooth. reading enough posts will give you a plan of attack for how you would like to extract teeth.

Then go to your local OMFS office and watch them for a day and ask a bunch of questions. They will show you their methods. OMFS are absolute beasts at extractions, I've seen some take out all four 3rds in less than five minutes. Soak up their knowledge and see where they place their instruments.

Reactions: 4 users
Advice in general??
I agree with the advice here about shadowing an OMFS. I learned so much from just watching them EXT teeth, which is absolutely easy for them. The biggest advice I can give about EXT is elevate 90% of the time and if you have to pick up a forcep then you have to, but typically all teeth should come out with elevation. Very rarely by force.

If the tooth is erupted and not too bombed out, most of the time you don't need elevators. Usually, I use elevators when troughing, but even when troughing a single root, I can usually grab and twist with forceps.

Removing a tooth is easy. Preserving the bone isn't. There's a school of thought with some dentists that if the patient has no plan to put anything in the space and/or opts not to graft the area, that preserving bone is not necessary. Disregard for preservation of the buccal plate makes for a lot faster extraction. However, if the patient opts for an implant later on, that decision of destroying the buccal plate makes implant placement a little harder.

The sweet spot of extractions is the 1st bi extractions. 1 min to numb, under a minute to extract all 4, if applicable, 1 min to put an implant (if its not an ortho case). That's why I refer to ortho.

OP make an account at dental town.com and read the I would like to extract teeth thread. Its basically a bunch of pictures of xrays and teeth and how the dentist got out the tooth. reading enough posts will give you a plan of attack for how you would like to extract teeth.

Then go to your local OMFS office and watch them for a day and ask a bunch of questions. They will show you their methods. OMFS are absolute beasts at extractions, I've seen some take out all four 3rds in less than five minutes. Soak up their knowledge and see where they place their instruments.
That thread is one of the most epic threads in Dental Town. I learned a lot from reading that thread over the years.

Reactions: 1 users
If the tooth is erupted and not too bombed out, most of the time you don't need elevators. Usually, I use elevators when troughing, but even when troughing a single root, I can usually grab and twist with forceps.
@TanMan: so for most teeth, you don’t even elevate? You numb, then grab the forceps right away and start twisting?

Last edited:
@TanMan: so for most teeth, you don’t even elevate? You numb, then grab the forceps right away and starting twisting?

Give the anesthetic some time to take into effect for single site extractions. If it's multisite, you can start on the first site you numbed. I find that if the coronal aspect is pretty intact, it's kinda pointless to use an elevator. Periosteal elevator to reflect the gingiva and grab as apically as you can. Upper universals and cowhorns do the trick quickly and efficiently. If it's bombed out, then you gotta trough and section and bust out the elevators. I still prefer forceps though. If it's impacted, that's another use for elevators after trough and decoronation. Efficient and profitable extractions should be less than a minute.

I forgot to add, there's other factors besides the tool that you use to extract. One is an intuition and strategy for extraction. If the root is curved, you have to see how your path of extraction is going to be (hint: it's not always straight coronally, buccal, or lingual), what bone and adjacent teeth are in the way, density of the bone, and how much tooth structure do you have to grip on to via elevator and/or forceps. If bone is hard and/or patient is older, you probably need to remove more bone since the bone won't expand. How do you know if the bone is hard? PDL anesthetic resistance is a good benchmark for me in terms of how easy it will be to expand the bone. If there's a tooth that is in the way your path of extraction, how do you fix that? You got a few options, some feasible, some not (like shaving the adjacent tooth). Feasible options include removing bone to change path of extraction or modifying the tooth you're extracting by removing a marginal ridge or other structure, however, by modifying the tooth you're going to remove, you also have to understand that you need a certain bulk of tooth to apply force and prevent it from snapping off. If you mod the tooth too much, your next application of force will result in parts of the tooth in snapping off and making your job a lot harder. Last, is tactile feedback from the bone and tooth (just like endo!). You know that the bone is expanding if there's detectable micromovement from the tooth. If there is none, application of additional force will result in a fracture. On the flip side, look at the tooth you're trying to remove. if there's severe decay on a wall, you need to direct your force away from that wall. For example, if you have a severely broken distal ridge and lingual wall, you need to grip a little more on the mesial, make sure your forcep engages a lot more apically on the lingual beak, and if you can't get your forcep to engage, then practice a little crown lengthening on the lingual to get your beaks to engage more on the lingual. If it's a multirooted tooth, there's almost nothing to work with, the fastest way around it is to use your forcep as a decoronator, exposure the furcation, and start troughing.

Anyway, hopefully this brain dump helps. Good luck!

Great tips! One of the issues with COVID times at a dental school is students pretty much will never get to do surgical extractions... Once the crown breaks off and the extraction goes surgical we now have to move them to a "closed room".. there is usually a wait, then has to be cleaned and set up, so by the time we get in there the resident just wants it done so they do it themselves..

Anyone ever used the extraction typodonts to practice elevating? Or is this a waste of money?

Anyone ever used the extraction typodonts to practice elevating? Or is this a waste of money?
I would save your money. In time, you'll get better at extractions. You're still a D3 and you guys have been impacted from the pandemic. You'll get more patients and more experience in the future.

Save your money. Getting good at any procedure takes time, not only with extractions but with anything else. As said above, the Pandemic obviously has impacted you all negatively so hang in there and try to expose yourself as much as possible. I am not sure if your'e interested in OMFS but I would do at least a couple externships if possible. I actually learned a lot of really good trips and techniques from the residents when I was a DS that helped me a lot. You can also shadow an OMFS in private practice too, I was a surgical assistant for about 5 years before going to DS for a private practice surgeon and I give a lot of credit to him for my surgical techniques.

Keep at it though and don't get discouraged!

Reactions: 1 user

Live patients in foreign countries are a lot better. No license required, no liabilities, less covid paranoia. See if there's dental missions still being held that focus on extractions. Extractions are bread and butter if you can do it in under a minute. If you can't get the training domestically, get it internationally.

Edit: YMMV based on which country you do your dental mission.

Has anyone tried practicing on pig jaw? Does this simulate very well?

It just takes practice. I didn't start feeling really comfortable until I'd taken out around 120-150. Now I've taken out closer to 300 and feel confident I can pretty much take out any tooth no matter if it's surgical or simple. Dental school experiences definitely vary person to person even in the same dental school. Just hang in there. The more you do, the better you'll get.

If you can’t find a purchase point, create one. Reflect a flap if you need to. You can also use that 15 blade instead of the Periosteal to sever the PDL fibers.
when it comes to residual roots, I’ve learned to love the Cryer elevators.

In DS .... I purposely chose a required externship option at the local state prison. Lots of extraction experience. I wore a fake name badge and made sure no one called me by my real name. Seriously.

Has anyone tried practicing on pig jaw? Does this simulate very well?
I think pig's jaw is great for suturing practice. Pig's jaw also helps to also get the feel of drilling into the bone when using a surgical handpiece, using a minnesota to retract the soft tissues and get better vision to differentiate tooth structure from bone. So it simulates fairly well, but is limited in the sense that it does not reflect ergonomics between the operator and patient or choice of elevator/ forceps used when extracting. Still, pig's jaw is really good for practice.