Extracurricular Activity Advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

natureboy

that's the bottom line
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does any one have suggestions for what I could do as extracurricular activities? I do some hospital and hospice work up until now since the start of this school year. Starting next year, my junior year, I plan to pick up some more activities including spending a couple hours a week with a group of mentally/physically disabled adults and sometimes kids, where we go to the movies, drink coffee, and such...I think this is worthwhile. Also, for 2.5 hrs/wk, I will also be helping disabled individuals at my school with their fitness, under direct supervision, of course...where they are to do activities out of water as well as in water to improve thier hand/eye coordination or whatever else they need to do. So if I apply next June, this would be the total extent of my activities (volunteer and EC's). As for GPA, let's say I am doing very well. :) MCAT? Who knows...I am shooting for 30. Letters of recs? Got that covered. Other than that, does anyone else have suggestions for me so I can become a stronger applicant? I don't really want to join the clubs around here because all the ones I have been to are very poorly run...I want to do something where I could be helping someone out. I think that's probably wiser than listing futile clubs/organizations. Also, are there specific things that admissions committees smile upon?

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Yeah.

Relax. Do something you love. Read a good book. Paint. Do research. Do yoga. Get laid.

You'll be fine. Just make sure you're doing it for the right reasons.

yeah, just relax there...it sounds like your ec's are just fine

Members don't see this ad :)
Do something NOT related to medicine or helping people. Do something just for your enjoyment, that will look better because you'll be more well-rounded.

Yeah, your ECs look very good! Do something you enjoy. :)

it's quality, not quantity that counts. good luck

It's better to be dedicated to just one thing and put alot of effort into it then to just be a resume padder. Find something you really enjoy, don't waste your time on stuff just because you think you have to. I think its pretty obvious to most app readers who really cares and who is just making up the hours.

See, the thing is, I have been a very secluded person all throughout high school. All I did was study. All I did when I got to college...for...almost 2 yrs now is study...and some minor volunteering. I have started to get out of my comfort zone now, but am not much of an athletic type nor to I enjoy any activities. As previously mentioned, do what you enjoy, but I don't enjoy the normal stuff that other people find fun. I'd rather just study. So do you think this would make me a weak applicant?

Originally posted by natureboy
See, the thing is, I have been a very secluded person all throughout high school. All I did was study. All I did when I got to college...for...almost 2 yrs now is study...and some minor volunteering. I have started to get out of my comfort zone now, but am not much of an athletic type nor to I enjoy any activities. As previously mentioned, do what you enjoy, but I don't enjoy the normal stuff that other people find fun. I'd rather just study. So do you think this would make me a weak applicant?

it won't necessarily make you a "weak" applicant. However, surely there is something you enjoy doing in life that has nothing to do with medicine. Surely there is some hobby that you've invested your time and energy in that you have become pretty proficient at, be it bird watching or playing the piano or playing baseball. It is good to be a well rounded applicant. Adcoms want to see that you aren't just a study-a-holic and that there is more to your life than grades and mcat scores.

You don't have to enjoy "the normal stuff people find fun"(whatever that was supposed to mean. people have different hobbies. there is no such thing as normal IMO.). However, you need to realize that there is more to life than books and studying. Un-seclude yourself if that is your problem. It will not only help your med school applications but it will help you in life.