Extracurricular Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

UIC Killa

EM ES ONE
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I played intramural basketball for my school for my entire 4 year stay. I was wondering if something like intramurals has any weight. I mean I did all the other things (volunteering, tutoring...etc) but it seems like nobody else ever lists anykind of sports related thing. My team finally won the championship this year (which I am very proud of...4 years of trying) so I am not sure if something like that would even matter on the apps. I know medical schools want someone well rounded, so I think something like sports (music or art for others) will help round out an app that maybe all science, health, or volunteering related. I don't know, what do you guys think.

Members don't see this ad.

Are you a gator? :D I think it helps make you more well rounded. It won't hurt your app for sure. :D

UIC Killa said:
it seems like nobody else ever lists any kind of sports related thing.

Many applicants list intramural and club sports (a few list varsity sports). It's a good thing.

Participation in sports, fine arts, performing arts, hobbies is a way of describing yourself in such a way that it paints a picture of a unique individual who sounds interesting. Your application as a whole should convey the impression that you are an interesting person who it would be a pleasure to meet. That's what makes an adcom member want to invite you for an interview.

Members don't see this ad :)
UIC Killa said:
Hey guys,

I played intramural basketball for my school for my entire 4 year stay. I was wondering if something like intramurals has any weight. I mean I did all the other things (volunteering, tutoring...etc) but it seems like nobody else ever lists anykind of sports related thing. My team finally won the championship this year (which I am very proud of...4 years of trying) so I am not sure if something like that would even matter on the apps. I know medical schools want someone well rounded, so I think something like sports (music or art for others) will help round out an app that maybe all science, health, or volunteering related. I don't know, what do you guys think.

Exluding intramural sports and martial arts, I had 13 activities to list on AMCAS. I jokingly mentioned to my premed advisor that I was going to add those two to my activities to fill out the 15, and to my surprise, he said "absolutely, you should definitely add those - it shows you're a well-rounded person when its alongside research and clincial activities". I hadnt thought that they were appropriate to add until that moment, and in retrospect, I'm glad that I listed them - two of my interviewers mentioned those two activities in a positive light, and both of them mentioned how its important to maintain activities outside of medical school. So I say go for it :thumbup:

Does the clinical stuff (volunteering at the hospital, etc.) count as EC's or are they in a separate column marked "volunteer work" in the application form?

Parietal Lobe said:
Does the clinical stuff (volunteering at the hospital, etc.) count as EC's or are they in a separate column marked "volunteer work" in the application form?

They are ECs. IIRC, there is employment/clinical and employment/non-clinical and there are volunteer/clinical and volunteer/non-clinical categories in the pull-down menu to describe the EC.

LizzyM said:
They are ECs. IIRC, there is employment/clinical and employment/non-clinical and there are volunteer/clinical and volunteer/non-clinical categories in the pull-down menu to describe the EC.

Then where do you put other things? For instance, I was editor-in-chief of my college paper. I want to list it because it's a leadership role and I won some state journalism awards for it, but it doesn't fall under any of the above categories. Is there a place for hobbies? I also want to list a really unique hobby I have.

Parietal Lobe said:
Then where do you put other things? For instance, I was editor-in-chief of my college paper. I want to list it because it's a leadership role and I won some state journalism awards for it, but it doesn't fall under any of the above categories. Is there a place for hobbies? I also want to list a really unique hobby I have.

Have you created an account yet? There's a whole bunch of categories that you can designate in the pull-down menu. "Extracurricular/Hobbies/Avocations" and "Leadership not listed elsewhere" and "Artistic Endeavors" and more. You should be able to find a classification.

CptCrunch said:
Have you created an account yet? There's a whole bunch of categories that you can designate in the pull-down menu. "Extracurricular/Hobbies/Avocations" and "Leadership not listed elsewhere" and "Artistic Endeavors" and more. You should be able to find a classification.

^^ He's right. I was just describing the couple of categories that tend to describe work and volunteer activities.