Extracurricular weight?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DPT.applicant.2020

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Howdy!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Howdy!
During my time in college I was only in one organization and did not accumulate many volunteer hours. This summer I was going to try and build up my application in that aspect, but because of COVID I could not. I regret not being more involved in my college. I am worried that DPT programs will not be interested in me as an applicant. If anyone can ease my fears or has any advice I'd love to hear!
Here are my other stats:
College: A&M
Major: Kinesiology
Minor: Psychology and Public health
GPAc: 4.0
GRE: 150v, 159 Quan, 3.5
Observation: 300+ in 7 different places (around 5 different settings)
LORS: 3 PTs (outpatient, inpatient, home health), owner of a PT clinic I shadowed for, Chemistry Professor
I got accepted with zero volunteer work and zero extracurriculars, and it didn't come up during my interview. I do have an extensive work history that I talked about in my interview, but I landed the interview with no extras.

Howdy!
During my time in college I was only in one organization and did not accumulate many volunteer hours. This summer I was going to try and build up my application in that aspect, but because of COVID I could not. I regret not being more involved in my college. I am worried that DPT programs will not be interested in me as an applicant. If anyone can ease my fears or has any advice I'd love to hear!
Here are my other stats:
College: A&M
Major: Kinesiology
Minor: Psychology and Public health
GPAc: 4.0
GRE: 150v, 159 Quan, 3.5
Observation: 300+ in 7 different places (around 5 different settings)
LORS: 3 PTs (outpatient, inpatient, home health), owner of a PT clinic I shadowed for, Chemistry Professor

Your application is perfect! You don't need to do anything else! You have plenty of observation hours in 5(!!!) settings! No one cares about your extra curriculum. They do care about your 4.0 GPA, perfect observations, and good GRE. Just apply and you will get accepted almost anywhere with your stats.
My stats were lower than yours, had zero extra curriculum, zero work experience related to healthcare, and was never questioned about it. Got accepted.

Reactions: 1 user
^ I wouldnt say nobody cares about extracurriculars, they are still an important part of the applications process. Two of my supplemental essays asked me to describe a meaningful volunteering experience that I was involved in so some schools definitely look at it, and one of my interviews asked about what I gained from volunteering/community service during undergrad. With that being said, because your other stats are really strong, you probably won't need to worry that much.

Reactions: 1 user