Extracurriculars during rotations?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

shadowfox87

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

About to start clinical rotations and I really want to get back into some hobbies of mine. I was wondering let's say I take a class that is 1-2 hours maybe 3 times per week during rotations, is that possible while still maintaining a decent 6-7 hours of sleep per day and not falling behind? During med school, I just went to the gym but the gym is on campus, so I'm not sure how it will change with me driving to the hospital and then also going somewhere else to take a class.

Can some of you who are pros at this, shed some light on this?

Members don't see this ad.

That should be easily doable during everything except surgery and possibly OB/Gyn. Your hours shouldn't be all that bad, for the most part. I had time to work out regularly, watch all the sports I wanted to, go to dinner with friends most nights, and revive a pretty time-consuming hobby.

Hey guys,

About to start clinical rotations and I really want to get back into some hobbies of mine. I was wondering let's say I take a class that is 1-2 hours maybe 3 times per week during rotations, is that possible while still maintaining a decent 6-7 hours of sleep per day and not falling behind? During med school, I just went to the gym but the gym is on campus, so I'm not sure how it will change with me driving to the hospital and then also going somewhere else to take a class.

Can some of you who are pros at this, shed some light on this?

I played rugby and baseball in leagues all year. All about time management. On Surgery I ended up dropping the weekly practice and only did games on weekends. The only week I had an issue was nighfloat/nap during the day for OB...miserable rotation.

Do hobbies. Your primary goal is obviously school and grades, but you'll be a much happier/better person if you indulge in things outside medicine. At least in my opinion.

Depends on the rotation... some months will even allow travel while others will barely allow sleep