Extracurriculars for MSTP Admissions

Started by DendWrite
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

DendWrite

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'm a sophomore this year planning on applying to MSTP programs after graduation. What sort of extracurriculars are MSTP programs interested in? Is it a bit less "stringent" than MD only programs? I know that obviously significant and involved research experience (for as long a duration and as much time as possible) is a given, but what about the hospital volunteering / general ECs...are these as important? As long as you have SOME clinincal exposure (but say, aren't a member of a bunch of school clubs and stuff) + the research experience, good grades and MCAT, is this enough to get into top MSTP programs? Or do they still want you to have an MD-looking app. + the research?
 
From what I have gathered, the heaviest EC they want is research (2-3 years), followed by at least some shadowing to show you've seen a doctor in action, and maybe some volunteering. I doubt they're as stringent towards all the other "fluff" as regular MD/DO admissions because of the extreme research pre-req.
 
Honestly, I would HIGHLY recommend arranging as many shadowing experiences as possible. Not because you need them as EC (I got in without a single clinical EC), but to make sure you really want to be a doctor. Go to clinical with an FP, round in the hospital with an IM team, watch in the OR, hang out with a radiologist or pathologist.

I've had MD/PhD friends at the end realize they don't really like being a doctors. No need to waste 4 years if you don't have to.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I doubt they're as stringent towards all the other "fluff" as regular MD/DO admissions because of the extreme research pre-req.

Even the MD adcoms know that most of those clubs, honor societies, and other nonsense is fluff. They're looking for significant experience, not something you attended once a semester. In that sense, a few ECs you spend a lot of time at (i.e. research and shadowing/volunteering) is far better than a lot of ECs you've been involved with superficially but makes your AMCAS look longer.