Extracurriculars help

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

zeddd78893

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
:)

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
You need to get much, much more direct clinical experience more than anything, even for research-heavy schools. Betting on your clinical research hours also being viewed as clinical experience is playing an extremely risky/dangerous game, since a lot of the people who review your application/interview you, even those at research-focused schools, won't buy it.

Reactions: 1 user
You need to get much, much more direct clinical experience more than anything, even for research-heavy schools. Betting on your clinical research hours also being viewed as clinical experience is playing an extremely risky/dangerous game, since a lot of the people who review your application/interview you, even those at research-focused schools, won't buy it.

I agree, your research and non-clinical volunteering is a very big number, in the hundreds, and your clinical experience is 50 hours. Shadowing is clinical exposure, but the volunteering is where it mainly counts since that's what they consider experience. You did a LOT of research, I would focus on clinical volunteering in a hospital or clinic.

Members don't see this ad :)
I had over a 1000 hours of research when I was a junior, and I was like yikes. So I beefed up my clinical experience (working and volunteering) and I got a summer job that had nothing to do with research. I say continue the research but try to make time for clinical hours. Also, I am intrigued by the graphic design volunteering. That's a bit out of the box, very cool!

I would say get some clinical hours (i.e. scribe, etc.) and shadowing (maybe 30 more hours)

- Should I focus on volunteering or more research this upcoming semester? I am interested in applying to research heavy schools, but I'm not sure if I have enough nonclinical volunteering to dedicate my time towards research. Focus on research - try to get a publication (2nd author is good, but try to get a 1st author if you can)

- Do I include the involvement I have in my greek organization in my medical school app? I know there is a natural bias against greek life but I also don't have many other leadership positions because of the time commitment for these leadership positions I held Absolutely include it :)

PM me if you have other questions.