Extracurriculars Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Arjuna

Wielder of the Brahmastra
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I stopped by my pre-med advisor's office the other day, and he told me that any EC's that I accrued over the course of the summer BEFORE starting undergrad did NOT count towards the AMCAS. Is this reasonably true? I am very unfortunate if it is, as I gained over 100 hours of volunteering during the summer. Besides it doesnt make sense for it NOT to count...I mean I see people putting high school ECs on their AMCAS. :eek:

Members don't see this ad.

This is one of the few times where the advisor is right.

There is essentially an identical question already but whatever. If all the other kids jumped off a bridge would you? Four years is MORE than enough time to show your continued interest.

I've seen the opinion on SDN that you can include it if you continue in the same EC during the college years. So if you volunteer in the same location this summer, you can total the accumulated hours.

Members don't see this ad :)
I've seen the opinion on SDN that you can include it if you continue in the same EC during the college years. So if you volunteer in the same location this summer, you can total the accumulated hours.

I have heard the same thing. If there is continuity between high school and college, then go ahead and put it on your application. If not, forget about it.

Keep in mind that if you have other strong ECs anyway, brevity isn't a bad thing. Some of the interviewers made comments to me that it was "enjoyable" to read through my application as it was well written and to the point, rather than a drawn out travel log.

I think it depends on the experience. I listed volunteering at a hospital in high school on AMCAS.