Pre-Podiatry Extracurriculars

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TheDokter

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello! I will be attending UVA as a freshman this fall, and I am very interested in the field of podiatry. Unfortunately, while UVA has massive networks for all other pre-health specialties, there are 0 resources and clubs for pre-podiatry students. I intend to participate in activities that I am enjoy (triathlon, Chi Alpha, etc.), but I also want to show potential schools my interest in podiatry through extracurricular activities.

Shadowing a DPM is out of the question at the moment, because freshman at UVA are not allowed to have cars :(. I'd bike or run to the nearest network mentor (10 miles away), but I don't want to show up soaked in sweat every time. So should I just join established premed societies such as AED and AMSA, or do I have other options?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Members don't see this ad.

You have at least 4 years to get in a whopping 40-50 shadowing hours of a pod. Unless there are drastic changes in the applicant pool (I doubt it) by the time you're ready to apply, then you don't need to worry about shadowing at all your freshman year. My advice: focus on school, participate in the activites (non-med related) that you are interested in, and get some altruistic volunteer hours (community service). You can shadow once they allow you to have a car. I should stress focusing on school this first semester/year. If you decide podiatry isn't for you and want to enter an MD or even DO program then you will need to be a competitive applicant academically.

You could be a real "go getter" and start a pre-pod club/group. Invite local pods, indivividuals from the APMA, pod school admissions folks, etc. However, you don't need to.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
..You could be a real "go getter" and start a pre-pod club/group. Invite local pods, indivividuals from the APMA, pod school admissions folks, etc. However, you don't need to.

Right on dtrack22! Once classes begin I'm going to get more info and/or suggestions from APMSA about undergraduates starting up a pre-pod clubs/groups. It would be great if we can have a start-up club/group kit for undergraduate students.

I think APMSA can work with educating pre-pods and let APMA take care of national matters. It would be awesome having each state podiatry associations, along with the APMA, endorsing such initiative.

Hello! I will be attending UVA as a freshman this fall, and I am very interested in the field of podiatry. Unfortunately, while UVA has massive networks for all other pre-health specialties, there are 0 resources and clubs for pre-podiatry students. I intend to participate in activities that I am enjoy (triathlon, Chi Alpha, etc.), but I also want to show potential schools my interest in podiatry through extracurricular activities.

Shadowing a DPM is out of the question at the moment, because freshman at UVA are not allowed to have cars :(. I'd bike or run to the nearest network mentor (10 miles away), but I don't want to show up soaked in sweat every time. So should I just join established premed societies such as AED and AMSA, or do I have other options?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Hey TheDokter,

You have more than enough time to shadow a podiatrist after your first year. I would suggest to focus on your classes, especially on your sciences. I'm sure your pre-health advisor has a time track list which lists all the required science's classes and when to prepare and take the MCAT's. Also major in something that interest you while taking the required/suggested sciences as electives. Don't need to be a science major to get into a medical professional school just the required/suggested courses.

Some college life suggestions/tips: party after you've taken an exam not the day before, have fun, if you don't have good time management skills (don't get involved in to many extracurricular activities), and finally don't be to hard on yourself (crap happens).

One of the prehealth advisors, at UVA, Susan Salko was pretty pro podiatry when I talked to her about it. She might have some info for you. Also when you do want to start shadowing there are some really receptive podiatrists in the charlottesville area who I'm sure would let you come shadow. I recently just watched some surgeries in Martha Jefferson Hospital with one of them.

Hey there! I only applied to podiatry schools and am glad you're interested in the field! I graduated from UVA this past spring and am currently a 1st year student at Scholl College at RFUMS.

Like everyone else is saying, don't worry about not getting enough shadowing experience for now. I did some research on podiatry as a career choice my 2nd year, shadowed 2 podiatrists during the spring of my 3rd year, and applied to schools at the end of my 4th year. I shadowed Dr. Schustek (TempleU alum) and Dr. Baglio (NYCPM alum) a few times a week. They even wrote letters of recommendation for me! You have plenty of time!

You're only in your first year so focus on your studies. If you want to get involved in clubs, just make sure you can say at least one thing you got from each volunteering experience--one thing you learned from the experience, the people you interacted with, or what you learned about yourself after it was over. If you can't take anything away from whatever activity it was, the admissions committees won't be that impressed. It would just seem like you're padding your resume.

Go to the graduate schools/professional fair if you want to learn more about different areas within the medical field. I don't know if UVA already had one this year. There's always next year for you if you really want to see what's out there. I went my 3rd year and got the chance to talk to admissions representatives from 2 of the podiatry schools. I decided to contact one of them a few months later and he STILL remembered me! As a result, I did the pre-matriculation program at NYCPM to see what medical school/podiatry school would be like. It was a really good experience for me. I'd like to think that it also set me apart from other applicants because I was asked about it during my Scholl interview.

Earlier in the year, I sent an email to the pre-health advisors. I gave them my contact information for any students who may be interested in podiatry. I know UVA doesn't have much information regarding podiatry so I'd be happy to answer any questions you may have.

Also, I shadowed Dr. Schustek at both his practice and at the UVA hospital. I'm sure you can shadow him at the hospital or any other podiatrist there as long as you get in touch with him and show a sincere interest in podiatry.

Wow man. Not even a freshmen yet and already thinking about this? Good for you. You are a thousand times more motivated than I was and what I imagine the majority of your future friends will be.

Is there a target for shadowing hours that schools look for? I realize that more shadowing is always better then less, but is there a range to shoot for? I am a junior and will have 4 letters from doctors by this winter, but only one of them will be a podiatrist. Unfortunately, I spent a whole summer with a neurologist and will only have a week or so with the podiatrist. Will this be a problem?

Is there a target for shadowing hours that schools look for? I realize that more shadowing is always better then less, but is there a range to shoot for? I am a junior and will have 4 letters from doctors by this winter, but only one of them will be a podiatrist. Unfortunately, I spent a whole summer with a neurologist and will only have a week or so with the podiatrist. Will this be a problem?

I shadowed ~50 hours and 1 day in the OR and was asked at several schools during interview day if I think I am making the right decision with such little shadowing experience.

I got in to all of those schools.

Hi,
I was wondering how we could contact the doctors here in Charlottesville. Like I couldn’t find the emails online? Should I call the office?

Hi,
I was wondering how we could contact the doctors here in Charlottesville. Like I couldn’t find the emails online? Should I call the office?
First. This is very old thread.

Just start a new thread for your specific question.

To answer your question:

Yes. If you have phone number, make call. Faster to get the answer. Often times emails do not get directly to the doctor or are lost or ignored in masses of other emails. Make a call.

Reactions: 1 user
As said above, don't stress about it right now. I originally thought about other medical fields and didn't find out about podiatry until after graduating. I had about 30 hrs of shadowing with 1 day in the OR. I did have many hours of shadowing in other fields (100+) and other volunteer hours but that will come as you progress through college. Focus on your grades first and then getting involved when you have time. I did most of my shadowing during summer break and winter break throughout college.