Extraversion vs. Intraversion

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

greentealeaves

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
How important is it to be extraverted as a dermatologist? If you aren't extraverted does it make clinic a grind? I'm curious to hear from any dermatologists who have been practicing a while on how their personality affects their work. Thanks in advance for your help!

Members don't see this ad.

How important is it to be extraverted as a dermatologist? If you aren't extraverted does it make clinic a grind? I'm curious to hear from any dermatologists who have been practicing a while on how their personality affects their work. Thanks in advance for your help!

I don't think it matters much.

I'm an introvert and I'm doing just fine.

Reactions: 1 users

It makes no difference. I’m very introverted but have no trouble seeing 40 patients day in and out.

A 10-15 minute scripted interaction between a doctor and patient is very different from going out and partying /talking up a room of people.

That being said there are certain doctor personalities that patients seem to hate and complain about. I think it’s more about those that have a rigid mindset. For example - when someone tells you about the naturopathic cow manure cream they are using to treat their face wrinkles are you more likely to smile and nod and be friendly or not (just 1 example)?

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
As an "introvert" I don't think it necessarily affects my work. I enjoy clinic a lot including talking to about 25-30 patients/day. Having said that, my work day evenings are usually (and intentionally) not focused on social interaction if at all possible - as I've usually already "spent" my social energy for the day. This is different than friends I have in business and law, who work in an office or cubicle all day without the same level of personal interaction as a physician - they're always ready for weekday happy hours and other shenanigans.

Reactions: 2 users