Extreme Boredom in Dental School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TylerDMD

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm extremely bored in dental school. I love the dental part but absolutely hate everything else. 90% of the class material has absolutely zip to do with dentistry. It's very hard to stay focused, much less find enjoyment in learning useless garbage. I'm doing great because I treat it like a job but that doesn't mean I care about micro, biochem, path, physio, or histology.

Anybody else feel the same way? I find myself surfing e-bay and googling random things to pass the time. How do you pass the boredom? What can I do to make life more interesting now?

One bored dental student,

Tyler

Members don't see this ad.

TylerDMD said:
I'm extremely bored in dental school. I love the dental part but absolutely hate everything else. 90% of the class material has absolutely zip to do with dentistry. It's very hard to stay focused, much less find enjoyment in learning useless garbage. I'm doing great because I treat it like a job but that doesn't mean I care about micro, biochem, path, physio, or histology.

Anybody else feel the same way? I find myself surfing e-bay and googling random things to pass the time. How do you pass the boredom? What can I do to make life more interesting now?

Tyler

How else are faculty going to pay for their BMWs?

I was thinking something similar. The reason for the seemingly esoteric curriculum is to give otherwise unemployable people jobs as professors?

Maybe a possible explanation for my immense boredom...

Members don't see this ad :)
TylerDMD said:

Tyler

It all matters. I think its kinda weird you think these courses don't matter. I take all this stuff and realize I'm gaining a much better understanding of the body. That will help me become a doctor. You should try to think of it that way. I hear you though on histology.

TylerDMD said:

Tyler
Make some friends and spread the joy :love: Misery loves company :laugh:

you want to be a teeth tech or a teeth doctor?? if you choose the 2nd then just do it:)

I think if you polled graduating seniors or dentists most would feel a lot of classes aren't that helpful in private practice.

I am doing well in school also but the first year curriculum is rather boring. People think that we are "doctors" but we are not, we are dentists. I would appreciate a more dental oriented curriculum. For example, more radiology and courses like histo, biochem, and physiology more concentrated.

Save the comments about "we are doctors". I know many of you feel differently. Just an opinion of mine.

simpsonj24 said:
I am doing well in school also but the first year curriculum is rather boring. People think that we are "doctors" but we are not, we are dentists. I would appreciate a more dental oriented curriculum. For example, more radiology and courses like histo, biochem, and physiology more concentrated.

You can say the same stuff about physicians.

My dad is a psychiatrist...how much biochem, micro, path, or histo does he know? Ask a radiologist to tell you the steps of the Krebs cylcle. Ask a dermatologist if he knows the attachments of the inguinal ligament.

Bottomline is that people eventually become masters of their specific field of study. Everyone goes through this crap as a ritual. Very few of us will actually apply any of the basic sciences to our daily work, whether you are a physician or a dentist.

So, you may say that dentists arent "doctors", but "doctors" find the basic sciences just as useless as dentists.

PublicHealth said:
How else are faculty going to pay for their BMWs?

Not gonna say that all of it matters, but more of it matters than you may think. It's a rite of passage. And most faculty could make much more money in private practice, and basic science faculty could make more in pharma or private corps, so should appreciate them a little more - yes I know some are egotistical and a pain in the a$$ but keep this in mind.

Waambulance.gif

Suck it up and go review those histology slides, you whiny little babies.

TylerDMD said:

Tyler

Hello there bored dental student,

I do recall at times in dental school that I kept asking myself, "why do I have to memorize the Kreb cycle?" or "why do I have to understand the mechanism of RNA, DNA? " and so forth? The answer is that I need to know so I can pass the exam and not being kicked out of dental school! Ofcourse those topics are of little use for health care professionals. Call your local MD and ask him if he can quote you the first reaction in the Kreb cycle! Now, this type of mentality applies to those classes but pretty much nothing else in dental education. Anatomy. pathology, physiology,occlusion are all important! If you think that you are not a "doctor" but just a dentist, then you are really lowered yourself as a "tooth mechanic" and nothing else. You may be able to go through your career doing dentistry "fixing teeth" only and nothing will happen to you, but one day, you will be slammed with a big lawsuit on failing to recognize the symptoms (not "toothy" related) that can be treated had you referred to the patient's physician. Example would be lymph node enlargement, chornic persistant sore throat, bulging of the eyes, and all this time, you focus on that little tooth until the lawyer askes you on the stand " Doctor, for the past 6 months you treat Mr. Jones, didn't you suspect something wrong when he tells you repeatly that he has increasing difficulty swallowing and his voice is becoming more hoarse?, not to mention his lymph nodes are getting larger? " You then mumble " I am a DENTIST!!! I FIX teeth, I am NOT a doctor!!!! It is NOT my fault that the patient has that massive throat tumor! " Do you think that will fly in court? Then as you are slapped with a big fine and shame in the community, you then wonder if you should have paid attention to that pathology class. You can teach anybody to fix tooth, but it is the understanding of how dental treatment relates to the overall body health and vise versa that makes us DOCTOR of Dental Surgery or DOCTOR of Dental Medicine and not a tooth mechanic. So I advise you to pay attention in class, and you will be glad that I told you so. Sorry to be harsh but you need to understand this. DP

Members don't see this ad :)
Dr. Dai Phan said:

I do recall at times in dental school that I kept asking myself, "why do I have to memorize the Kreb cycle?" or "why do I have to understand the mechanism of RNA, DNA? " and so forth? The answer is that I need to know so I can pass the exam and not being kicked out of dental school! Ofcourse those topics are of little use for health care professionals. Call your local MD and ask him if he can quote you the first reaction in the Kreb cycle! Now, this type of mentality applies to those classes but pretty much nothing else in dental education. Anatomy. pathology, physiology,occlusion are all important! If you think that you are not a "doctor" but just a dentist, then you are really lowered yourself as a "tooth mechanic" and nothing else. You may be able to go through your career doing dentistry "fixing teeth" only and nothing will happen to you, but one day, you will be slammed with a big lawsuit on failing to recognize the symptoms (not "toothy" related) that can be treated had you referred to the patient's physician. Example would be lymph node enlargement, chornic persistant sore throat, bulging of the eyes, and all this time, you focus on that little tooth until the lawyer askes you on the stand " Doctor, for the past 6 months you treat Mr. Jones, didn't you suspect something wrong when he tells you repeatly that he has increasing difficulty swallowing and his voice is becoming more hoarse?, not to mention his lymph nodes are getting larger? " You then mumble " I am a DENTIST!!! I FIX teeth, I am NOT a doctor!!!! It is NOT my fault that the patient has that massive throat tumor! " Do you think that will fly in court? Then as you are slapped with a big fine and shame in the community, you then wonder if you should have paid attention to that pathology class. You can teach anybody to fix tooth, but it is the understanding of how dental treatment relates to the overall body health and vise versa that makes us DOCTOR of Dental Surgery or DOCTOR of Dental Medicine and not a tooth mechanic. So I advise you to pay attention in class, and you will be glad that I told you so. Sorry to be harsh but you need to understand this. DP

i 2nd that :)

rocknightmare said:
i 2nd that :)

I'll 3rd that!

Alot of the dental school curriculum may seem "useless" at first, but then later on in practice, one day, you'll one day realize why you need to learn alot of the perceived "useless" info - and it's not just to get the beemer for the faculty member.

And please, if you're of the mentality that "I'm just a dentist I only need to know about teeth, do yourself a favor and get out of the profession now, becasue you'll likely have a major screw up at somepoint that will cost you ALOT of malpractice $$'s :eek:

Trust me, if you were to ask just about every practicing dentist if they ever said "why the F%^& do I have to learn this" while in dental school, they'd say "yes", then ask them the same question 5 years out of school, and you'll see a realization in the "why" part

DrJeff said:
I'll 3rd that!

Alot of the dental school curriculum may seem "useless" at first, but then later on in practice, one day, you'll one day realize why you need to learn alot of the perceived "useless" info - and it's not just to get the beemer for the faculty member.

And please, if you're of the mentality that "I'm just a dentist I only need to know about teeth, do yourself a favor and get out of the profession now, becasue you'll likely have a major screw up at somepoint that will cost you ALOT of malpractice $$'s :eek:

Trust me, if you were to ask just about every practicing dentist if they ever said "why the F%^& do I have to learn this" while in dental school, they'd say "yes", then ask them the same question 5 years out of school, and you'll see a realization in the "why" part

I second that !!! DP

Tyler, I'm with you on the extreme boredom. I am so ****ing bored I'm going crazy.

Everyone is either in school or talking about school or studying, drives me nuts.... and no one ever comes up with anything original or fun to do, just the same ol' crap of let's go to a bar and drink and not hear each other over skull-numbing music. Good thing I'm in New York because it lets me meander a lot...

Dr. Jeff I usually really like and respect your comments. Dr. Phan I can't say the same for you but it doesn't really matter in this case. Notice that I never said anything about only teeth being important, I said more "dental oriented" so obviously phan that would include lymph nodes. In fact we are currently doing physical evaluations in the clinic as first year and I really appreciate this. I consider it "dental oriented".

I have noticed that many dentists have this kind of reaction when I talk about curriculum but there are plenty that do not. In dental anatomy just today I was talking to my instructors about this very topic and they said very little of this stuff matters. We will never look through a microscope again to ID hepatocytes. Quite a few of the PhD and MD professors agree as well.

I am not lazy and I will be a good dentist I just was stating that the curriculum could possibly be more relevant.

By the way Dr. Phan the title "Doctor" means nothings. History Professors have the same verbal title. It is just a latin derivative for being a master teacher.

TylerDMD said:

Tyler

Why don't you read up on some clinical dental research or advances in the profession? Go to the university health sciences library (where I presently am :D ) and read up on articles in journals such as "Oral Surgery,Oral Medicine,Oral Pathology,Oral Radiology, and Endodontology" (one of my favorite dental journals).
http://journals.elsevierhealth.com/periodicals/ymoe/current

It might help to shadow a dentist in your area to put things in perspective and get a taste of the *real world*.

Dr. Dai Phan said:

LMAO, Dr. DP is awesome :thumbup:

I think we're beginning to hit on something. The dental curriculum is arcane, antiquated, and dare I say...obsolete? The cirriculum was born out of a time when you went straight to dental school from high school. You had no broad liberal arts education, no organic chemistry, no American Lit. Back then, you needed a broad background in esoteric sciences to teach you how to think, memorize, learn, or appreciate. Today, that's not the case. We get a very broad education in college so that when we get to dental school, we already know how to think, memorize, correlate, and make decisions. We should be learning about teeth. It has nothing to do with being a "doctor" or a tooth plumber or whatever. I am absolutely 10000% sure that in 10 years, no one is going to remember was a basophil looks like or what the 4th step in the TCA cycle is. More importantly, these things have nothing to do with practicing dentistry so forgetting them is probably a good thing. Equally, none of these things have anything to do with greater systemic problems like cancer, etc. If something looks funny, refer it out. Simple as that. How arrogant to assume we are even in a position to diagnose throat cancer or cardiac arrythmias. We're not. We fix teeth and should know just enough about everything else in the body to say "that's not right, let me give you the number of a good MD".

Still bored,

Tyler.

Dr. Dai Phan said:

Very well put! :thumbup:

TylerDMD said:
I think we're beginning to hit on something. The dental curriculum is arcane, antiquated, and dare I say...obsolete? The cirriculum was born out of a time when you went straight to dental school from high school. You had no broad liberal arts education, no organic chemistry, no American Lit. Back then, you needed a broad background in esoteric sciences to teach you how to think, memorize, learn, or appreciate. Today, that's not the case. We get a very broad education in college so that when we get to dental school, we already know how to think, memorize, correlate, and make decisions. We should be learning about teeth. It has nothing to do with being a "doctor" or a tooth plumber or whatever. I am absolutely 10000% sure that in 10 years, no one is going to remember was a basophil looks like or what the 4th step in the TCA cycle is. More importantly, these things have nothing to do with practicing dentistry so forgetting them is probably a good thing. Equally, none of these things have anything to do with greater systemic problems like cancer, etc. If something looks funny, refer it out. Simple as that. How arrogant to assume we are even in a position to diagnose throat cancer or cardiac arrythmias. We're not. We fix teeth and should know just enough about everything else in the body to say "that's not right, let me give you the number of a good MD".

Still bored,

Tyler.

Hello,

It is quite true that 90% of what dentist do is rendering treatment to teeth and the surrounding structures. It is the same "specialized care" that we see in other healthcare professionals such as psychiatrist, proctologist or dermatologist... Althought we deal with the oral cavity mainly, we MUST be aware of other body conditions that are NOT dentally related. It is not a matter of pretending something that we aren't or "arrogantly assume that we are in the the position to diagnose throat cancer..." but as a healthcare professional, we are simply expected in the court of law to be able to have some basic understanding of the human body pathology. It is not expected that a dentist discuss in details the mechanisms of different disorders such as Addision or Cushing Syndrome but we should be able to recognize the signs and symptoms of them so we can talk intelligently to our patients, to other healthcare professionals; and to refer the patients to appropriate sources for treatment. The example that I gave about the throat tumor, it is EXPECTED that we as dentists be able to recognize that something is not right and refer the patient to his physician. In dental school, the majority of patients are healthy and if they have a slew of systemic conditions or a pageful of meds, so they are usually referred out before they get to you (at least in my days). However, once you are on your own practice, these patients will come to you with a bunch of problems, 20 meds, are undergoing chemotherapy and they need extensive dental work. Now what? If you do not have a basic understanding of how your treatment relate to their systemic condition, then you would be at total loss! Then you refer to someone else for something that you can totally can handle. My point is this, it is true that some classes taught in dental school are irrelevant such as biochemistry or histology but the rest are true needed. You may not use the information on a daily basis, but you WILL USE THEM. DP

Why I am learning to give a DRE is beyond me.

Sure, after 10 years many doctors won't be able to tell you what the 4th enzyme in the Krebbs cycle is and they may be good doctors. But, the doctor that you thank after he saves your life or your childs life most likely will be able to. I have meet hundreds of doctors, many of which are not able to tell you much of anything but the ones that earn my respect, the ones that I would trust with my son's or my daughter's life are simply briliant and I would imagine that they could recite the Krebbs cycle in detail. Sure we as dentists may never be able to distinguish the difference between a band lymphocyte or a basophil again but we sure as hell had better know what there roles in the body are. When you look at the CBC of a known cancer patient to see if they are stable enough to treat you are going to be looking at more than just the platelet count and the hematocrit. You are going to look at white count and hopefully you will realize that just because a white count is in the normal range that doesn't necessarily mean that they have an effective immune system. And how will you know if they have an effective immune system, oh yeah, those pesky band lymphocytes. While I don't think that we need to be able to diagnose whether a murmur is functional or non-functional we had better know what a murmur sounds like and know what times antibiotics need to be prescibed prior to treatment. I plan on being the kind of dentist that patients can talk to about their systemic health concerns and not sound like an idiot. Hopefully the other dentists in the area won't know the difference between IDDM and NIDDM when their patients ask them about it, that will just drive more patients through my doors.

dinesh said:
Why I am learning to give a DRE is beyond me.

Was that a one on one session with your professor or did the class participate????

Get over yourselves. You need to have common sense and a BASIC understanding of physiology etc... What do you do with a persistant sore throat and swollen nodes??? Big mystery... don't be a ***** and refer it out. When are you going to treat a cancer patient??? When their freakin' physician says you can. You can't decide that based on their CBC, you have no idea about their history, treatment, etc... .

To answer the original question...Tyler take up gaming. It's the only thing that has kept me sane over the last 3.5 years.

UNLV OMS WANABE said:
Get over yourselves. You need to have common sense and a BASIC understanding of physiology etc... What do you do with a persistant sore throat and swollen nodes??? Big mystery... don't be a ***** and refer it out. When are you going to treat a cancer patient??? When their freakin' physician says you can. You can't decide that based on their CBC, you have no idea about their history, treatment, etc... .

To answer the original question...Tyler take up gaming. It's the only thing that has kept me sane over the last 3.5 years.

You are going to be treating cancer patients all the time. If you don't know the difference between a WBC of 10 with an ANC of 100 or a WBC of 10 with and ANC of 6000 you are are putting your patients at risk. Believe it or not many patients will come into your office without even discussing it with their oncologist. You are also going to be getting consults from physicians for their patients before they begin treatment or for emergencies. Also, pancytopenic patients have just as many dental emergencies as the general public so you had better get used to treating patients with multiple medical needs that you hopefully "learned" about during your first couple of years of dental school. I don't know what exactly you mean when you say "get over yourself" but I hope that when you are treating a patient you realize that there is more to them than just their teeth. If you don't you are going to get yourself in trouble and sound like an idiot.

Hmm... I'm amazed that any dental student/dentist would consider that all a dentist does is 'fix teeth'. You CAN of course follow that path but as TucsonDDS says you'll very soon look like an idiot. People [all kinds of people, even *yikes* people with systemic diseases] visit your office and they expect that they are going to be safe in your hands, while you're drilling into their teeth or doing whatever else you're going to be doing.

TucsonDDS said:
Was that a one on one session with your professor or did the class participate????
:wow:

TylerDMD said:
More importantly, these things have nothing to do with practicing dentistry so forgetting them is probably a good thing. Equally, none of these things have anything to do with greater systemic problems like cancer, etc. If something looks funny, refer it out. Simple as that. How arrogant to assume we are even in a position to diagnose throat cancer or cardiac arrythmias. We're not. We fix teeth and should know just enough about everything else in the body to say "that's not right, let me give you the number of a good MD".
You're weak...

You're basically saying that you want to have as little responsibility to the overall care of your patients as possible. That's exactly who I would want caring for my family. Your desire to be as mediocre as possible is depressing.

Good luck...

DrJeff said:
I'll 3rd that!

Good post. That "useless" info only seems to be useless when there are faculty members around to bail you out--once you have nobody else to rely on that useless stuff becomes pretty useful, methinks.

This seems to be an endless topic of discussion for many dental/medical students in many schools all around the globe, and you can't really be all anti- or pro- when it comes to how important basic sciences are for us from a practical point of view.

I graduated loooooong time ago from one of only two dental schools in my home country Jordan (small country, middle east, mostly peaceful though :D ) We had to go through hell for the two years that we had to spend taking all the basic stuff (like anatomy, physio, patho, pharma, immuno, micro, etc) with fellow "medical" students in their school taught by their faculty. Now for somebody who might be inclined academically into one or more of the basic sciences that would be really nice, having the advantage of getting all of the heavy basic medical stuff. But most dental students are really not that type, correct me if I'm wrong. So that was just too much, I understand the importance again of having well knowledge of how the body works, and how the body gets sick, but I'd rather use more of my time doing actual dentistry, clinical, research, ..etc, anything dental in most of that time in school.

Another point that might be easy to forget, especially from a student's point of view is the need for some pre-requisite work done sometimes before you move on to other classes, subjects, etc. Yes we know Oral & dental anatomy is most of what we will be subjected to in practice, but before you get into lets say the details of anatomy and physiology of the masticatory muscles, or the innervation of the teeth, or taste buds functions, you have to have a general but strong knowledge of muscle anatomy and physiology regardless where these muscles are, and how action potentials travel through the nerves, and how special senses operate, ..etc. I hope I'm making sense to anybody reading this.

I have been teaching dental assisting for awhile now, and my students hate me because I'm the one who handles the "boring" subjects when they first start, the same subjects I complained about before when I was a student (I play the role of the evil faculty I guess :smuggrin: ), but you can imagine the vast difference in scope, they still have to pass my classes that deal with a little bit of everything basic, and I try to explain to them in many different ways, that as health care workers we all have to have at least a basic understanding of the human body, and that as a dentist I'd rather pick a well educated assistant to help me.

I don't know if I'm always convincing, but the bottom line I guess is basic sciences are important as long as schools do take into considerations that different programs and specialties need different levels and scope of exposure to basic sciences.

Just my two cents :)

ItsGavinC said:
Good post. That "useless" info only seems to be useless when there are faculty members around to bail you out--once you have nobody else to rely on that useless stuff becomes pretty useful, methinks.
i dont think so bud, i think Im a little further in my career then you are, and I guarantee the 50 steps in the classical complement pathway in Immunology you learned in dental school, are worth crap.

Do You Endo said:
i dont think so bud, i think Im a little further in my career then you are, and I guarantee the 50 steps in the classical complement pathway in Immunology you learned in dental school, are worth crap.

Hi there,

I disagree with you there bud! Everytime my patient looks at me and asks "...excuse me but.... is there someone here checking your work?...", I then start to recite the Kreb cycle then they start to think that I am the Dental God and that's the end of it!!! DP

Screw all you people debating on the merit of knowing the kreb cycle and crap, no one cares whether you're a practicing dentist who knows his autonomic nerves or not.... let's get this back on track to how soul-suckingly boring dental school is.

with each passing day I become more and more like one of these old boring sad adults that I make fun of, those who are only capable of awkward conversations comprised of "this cold sucks huh?" and "so who've you got for the big game?" and "goddamn this studying is BS!". Blaise. Trite. Pedestrian!

I have never so devoid of creativity, cleverness or even simple energy as I do now, trudging through dental school. I look forward to being a dentist, but I find dental school utterly mindblowingly numb. It's not even challenging, just kinda busy, but not busy enough to keep me from becoming ridiculously ridiculously bored.

I want to go back to college. Where playing Assassin in the dorms and buying some $15 dollar wall mountable wine-rack to place your two buck chuck made me happier than I ever will with German automobiles, Italian motorcycles, attire and acitivity-specific watches, and/or ensembles seen in GQ.

Dental school is boring. Dental school makes those in it boring. Now I go to lab and drill. Making bland perfect copies of class II preps exactly 1 mm across and proximal boxes conforming to some precise specification. Joy.

phremius said:
Screw all you people debating on the merit of knowing the kreb cycle and crap, no one cares whether you're a practicing dentist who knows his autonomic nerves or not.... let's get this back on track to how soul-suckingly boring dental school is.

with each passing day I become more and more like one of these old boring sad adults that I make fun of, those who are only capable of awkward conversations comprised of "this cold sucks huh?" and "so who've you got for the big game?" and "goddamn this studying is BS!". Blaise. Trite. Pedestrian!

I have never so devoid of creativity, cleverness or even simple energy as I do now, trudging through dental school. I look forward to being a dentist, but I find dental school utterly mindblowingly numb. It's not even challenging, just kinda busy, but not busy enough to keep me from becoming ridiculously ridiculously bored.

I want to go back to college. Where playing Assassin in the dorms and buying some $15 dollar wall mountable wine-rack to place your two buck chuck made me happier than I ever will with German automobiles, Italian motorcycles, attire and acitivity-specific watches, and/or ensembles seen in GQ.

Dental school is boring. Dental school makes those in it boring. Now I go to lab and drill. Making bland perfect copies of class II preps exactly 1 mm across and proximal boxes conforming to some precise specification. Joy.

I hope this is some over-dramatic joke. If not, good grief, did you not know what you were getting into? Never talked to any student to see what d-school was like? Did daddy force you to go into dentistry? Sure sounds like it! Please get out while you still can. Go move into your parents basement and play a few video games. I would just hate for some patent to come visit you in the future needing a small class II -- poor dentist wants some real work, like sitting down in a comfortable chair with a controller and two buck chuck. Sounds like someone could use a new path in life...only problem is, can you be happy doing anything in the real world? College is over. Deal with it.

pretzeldude66 said:
I hope this is some over-dramatic joke. If not, good grief, did you not know what you were getting into? Never talked to any student to see what d-school was like? Did daddy force you to go into dentistry? Sure sounds like it! Please get out while you still can. Go move into your parents basement and play a few video games. I would just hate for some patent to come visit you in the future needing a small class II -- poor dentist wants some real work, like sitting down in a comfortable chair with a controller and two buck chuck. Sounds like someone could use a new path in life...only problem is, can you be happy doing anything in the real world? College is over. Deal with it.

you sound like someone who hasn't started dental school. Enjoy the profession, (else I wouldn't have given up a high paying finance job to do it) but bored out of my mind in school right now.

pretzeldude66 said:
Easy on the personal callouts, please.

aphistis said:
Easy on the personal callouts, please.

Sorry about the callout. I am a first year, and one of the only ones in my class that doesnt complain frequently. I guess some people like to have a little self-caused drama in their lives.

phremius said:
you sound like someone who hasn't started dental school. Enjoy the profession, (else I wouldn't have given up a high paying finance job to do it) but bored out of my mind in school right now.

Sorry for the words earlier, phremius -- It's getting close to exam time, and I'm getting tired of hearing people complain more than study. I know at our school we can go assist in the clinic for fourth years or visit one of the many residency clinics. Why don't you occasionally do something like that to help you remember why you chose the profession? Maybe it will give you a little more of a boost to endure the rest of the stuff you have to go through.
Good luck, and I hope you find some inspiration soon!

Tyler

Dentists aren't real doctors. You should have studied harder to earn an MD. Good luck on telling people you are not a doctor but a dentist.

Dentists aren't real doctors. You should have studied harder to earn an MD. Good luck on telling people you are not a doctor but a dentist.

I find it hard not to follow you around and bask in your aura of wisdom!! You're my new favourite SDN member!! :cool:

:laugh:

it seems to me that nothing is free in this life. We either pay ahead or pay later. It always seems cheaper to pay before. Just see your student loans ;)
I look forward to a little boredom, so full of possibility. :)

This is rather strange, most of the people in my class seem to like the medical part more than the dental including me.

Tyler

This is rather strange, most of the people in my class seem to like the medical part more than the dental including me.

why are you even in dental school then. i like the medical part, but i love the dental part.

SO WHAT.......

Don't worry. I know you feel like a zombie now, but by next year you'll have adjusted to the workload and so will your classmates. By that time the stress won't effect you as deeply as it does now, and you'll find yourselves acting more "normal" again. I don't know about the video games though. Your priorities are shifting as your workload increases, so some things naturally have to go (like maybe video games). You're right in a way though - it's part of growing up.

Tyler
This is why physicians snicker when they call dentists "doctors".