Extremely confused about URM!!! Help!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dreamtobeMD

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone!

I keep hearing different things regarding hispanics as being considered URMs. I am 100% Salvadorian-American and was wondering if I would be classified as URM or do I specifically have to be black, native american, mexican american, or puerto rican? I know that I can state my race in the application, but will I be classified as URM?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Schools will decide whether or not you are on a case to case basis, there is no "URM" box. In the past it was described as African-American, Native American, Mexican American, and Mainland Puerto Rican, but this was in the past.

I'm curious about this too! I'm also Salvadorian American. Both my parents moved here from El Salvador in the 70s. I wasn't sure exactly how you enter your race/ethnicity in the AAMCAS application. Is there a place for you to specifically put "Salvadorian"? Or maybe just mention it in your PS?

Members don't see this ad :)
You are Hispanic and make sure you check that. This has nothing to do with you race - white, black or yellow -

In the past, considered minorities (AAMC)were only Blacks, Native Americans, Mainland Puerto Ricans and Mexican Americans (decades ago). Hispanics in general are now part of the mix.

Hello everyone!

I keep hearing different things regarding hispanics as being considered URMs. I am 100% Salvadorian-American and was wondering if I would be classified as URM or do I specifically have to be black, native american, mexican american, or puerto rican? I know that I can state my race in the application, but will I be classified as URM?

Thanks!

You are definitely URM. Glad to see my people are applying to medical school. :)

I'm curious about this too! I'm also Salvadorian American. Both my parents moved here from El Salvador in the 70s. I wasn't sure exactly how you enter your race/ethnicity in the AAMCAS application. Is there a place for you to specifically put "Salvadorian"? Or maybe just mention it in your PS?

Just wondering, did your family come here cause of the civil war, too?

Thank you everyone for the replies :)

@Dartmouth2005- Yes they did. They came at the age of 21 but unfortunately didn't have the opportunity to go to college :( First generation here! :)

Just wanted to say good luck to everyone. Keep working hard. URM or not if you have the scores, you will get a chance to become an M.D.

Thank you everyone for the replies :)

@Dartmouth2005- Yes they did. They came at the age of 21 but unfortunately didn't have the opportunity to go to college :( First generation here! :)

Ditto for my mom and her family. Anyways, good luck.

I heard from a friend that this year Touro New York will not charge a secondary fee for its application for URM students. Does anyone know if this is true? Also there is no deposit fee also.

Yes, you are considered URM. Now that the AAMC has updated their definition, you might even be considered more so in certain areas with large Salvadoran communities (i.e. LA or DC), though I am not sure that med schools break it down to that point.

Good luck with all of your applications!