Extremely depressed about my current job.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

justjoe

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
But at least I have a job.

I work for a small independent in a small town. I only work about 28 hours a week, no benefits. I don't have any other job. The place has been going down hill ever since the management talked down to one of the techs. Then the manager cut tech benefits and that drove a bunch of techs away. Now all the best employees are gone.

Now we are extremely understaffed. We have a few good employees (a tech an an intern), but they need to be trained. The problem is, management doesn't want them to do anything else except for count. I have to type, verify, counsel and intervene on every single call or problem and I'm getting really run down.

The owner and the other pharmacist make tons of errors. When I come in after a few days off, there are all sorts problems I have to deal with, things not being followed up on etc. If I bring up issues, they get mad.

No one else is hiring in town and I only know how to do retail.

I just don't have the passion for this like I used to. If I could set things up more efficiently, this could work way better, but management wants to do it like this.

I just want to keep my head down and do this as best as I can for a paycheck, but it's getting really tedious. I feel like I'm capable of so much more.

Members don't see this ad.

Just move to another city/state. There are plenty (good) jobs if you look and willing to relocate.

Reactions: 1 users
Start sending resumes out every week until you land another job. Good luck.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Plenty of anti-depressants to choose from within arms reach.

Reactions: 7 users
Looked at some of your past posts and if it holds true you seemed to be interested going MD/DO with no current debt holding you back.

Have you considered stashing some money aside and take one or two prereqs while studying the MCAT for the med route? You seemed determined to switch over what happened?

But at least I have a job.

I work for a small independent in a small town. I only work about 28 hours a week, no benefits. I don't have any other job. The place has been going down hill ever since the management talked down to one of the techs. Then the manager cut tech benefits and that drove a bunch of techs away. Now all the best employees are gone.

Now we are extremely understaffed. We have a few good employees (a tech an an intern), but they need to be trained. The problem is, management doesn't want them to do anything else except for count. I have to type, verify, counsel and intervene on every single call or problem and I'm getting really run down.

The owner and the other pharmacist make tons of errors. When I come in after a few days off, there are all sorts problems I have to deal with, things not being followed up on etc. If I bring up issues, they get mad.

No one else is hiring in town and I only know how to do retail.

I just don't have the passion for this like I used to. If I could set things up more efficiently, this could work way better, but management wants to do it like this.

I just want to keep my head down and do this as best as I can for a paycheck, but it's getting really tedious. I feel like I'm capable of so much more.
Your not the only one. There are many.

Dude you just gotta saddle up and go balls deep. That’s probably the best advice your gonna get

You don't owe your employer anything. Just get the job done while planning your next move. Send resumes and study for the MCAT if you want.

Reactions: 1 user
Are you being harassed though? It sounds like everyone else is oblivious to the problems that you see. If they don’t think there are problems then don’t directly involve yourself in them unless it is glaring in your face. Would your job be pleasant this way?

If you can have a pleasant time for the 28 hours you work every week I would suggest letting them take care of the problems when they want to at their own priority.

Here's a tip.

Don't care about this pharmacy more than the freakin owner and PIC

Reactions: 15 users
im sure there is a floater position opened within your region. you may need to search into other nearby cities as well... how are you surviving working only 28 hours a week with an independent pharmacy wage and no benefits while paying off student loans?

Just some words of encouragement, there is no shame is seeking help for your mental health & things can always be worse (be grateful/appreciative of what you do have...there are many situations circumstances/others who have things way worse than you)

Members don't see this ad :)
Looked at some of your past posts and if it holds true you seemed to be interested going MD/DO with no current debt holding you back.

Have you considered stashing some money aside and take one or two prereqs while studying the MCAT for the med route? You seemed determined to switch over what happened?

It would take too much time. I'm in my late 30s and I don't want to take the stress and debt. I want to start a family at some point. The only option would be PA school.

Are you being harassed though? It sounds like everyone else is oblivious to the problems that you see. If they don’t think there are problems then don’t directly involve yourself in them unless it is glaring in your face. Would your job be pleasant this way?

If you can have a pleasant time for the 28 hours you work every week I would suggest letting them take care of the problems when they want to at their own priority.

I'm not being harassed, but it is a lot of stress having to fix issues that the owners didn't follow through on.

im sure there is a floater position opened within your region. you may need to search into other nearby cities as well... how are you surviving working only 28 hours a week with an independent pharmacy wage and no benefits while paying off student loans?

I don't have any school loans, I live cheaply, and I don't have a family or mortgage, or car payment. I have about $160K in savings. My take home pay last year was $60,000. I am doing well financially, especially in this job market, but this job is really draining on me. The thought of switching careers and losing my steady income and status makes me feel like a loser. I feel like if I quit I will lose everything I worked for and people will look at me like I can't hack it.

I went through a dark period a few years ago when I got laid off and I managed to network and find this job. My self esteem immediately increased and I felt better about myself. Now that the place is failing, I feel like I'm going to become a failure as well. I'm tired of the DIR fees, performance measures, and all the new rules the BoP is piling on. I can't hardly get the Rxs out some days, and the patients get upset and then I feel like crap.

I'm in love with this pharmacy tech that I used to work with. Now she works at another pharmacy, but she is all I think about. We're not going out, but I want to ask her out someday. I feel if I lose my job, she will think I'm a loser and she won't like me anymore.

It would take too much time. I'm in my late 30s..

I'm in love with this pharmacy tech that I used to work with. Now she works at another pharmacy, but she is all I think about. We're not going out, but I want to ask her out someday. I feel if I lose my job, she will think I'm a loser and she won't like me anymore.

Dude. In love and you don’t even go out? :smack:

We both really liked each other, but I couldn't ask her out because we worked together and I was in a position of authority. She just quit not to long ago to work somewhere else. Now, I'm really missing her and the stress of the job is really starting to weigh on me.

We both really liked each other, but I couldn't ask her out because we worked together and I was in a position of authority. She just quit not to long ago to work somewhere else. Now, I'm really missing her and the stress of the job is really starting to weigh on me.

What's stopping you from looking for her?

Hey joe, you are really open and straight forward about whats going on and how your feeling. I really appreciate that. I believe you have every right to be angry about your current situation. And there is nothing wrong with your mental state (unless you havent told me something). These jobs are what define us, and they are slowly being destroyed. It's painful to see all your hard work, sacrifices, and dreams being ripped right out from under you. You probably envisioned 40 hours a week, 120K+ and having a family (maybe with this tech chick) , job security for the next 25+ years right? so dont feel bad about how bad you feel. I am feeling the same. Losing my steam and drive for this field totally. I have been a tech since 97, and a Rph since 2012. The rug is being ripped out from under all of us and we have every right to be upset, frustrated, angry, sad, lonely, and depressed.....i guess when it gets TOO bad, i'm just gonna bail. I'm 40 now and quality of life is number one. You cant get it back once you have lived your prime....trust me! now go ask that girl out man.....maybe you just need to clean some of the carbon off the valves..... :) but seriously , if it gets too bad, just hit us up here, we are all in the same sinking boat, feeling the same way bro.....take care.

Reactions: 7 users
I hope you have her number at least.
If you really like this girl, just text her up.
How you've been? How do you like the new work?
Go from there and ask if she wants to meet up to catch up.
Then make it a regular thing.

In the meanwhile, keep looking for a new job- if you own a house, I can't really advise you but if you're only renting, you should be applying statewide (but preferably not in BFE or undesirable area since you're trying to start a family).
Floating for big chain is probably the best option, since you can see which stores have good management and if a permanent position opens up, you can decide if it's the store you can work with long term.
You don't have to rush anything, since you're employed and making income.
If you'd rather go back to school- I can't really advise you on that.

Either way, by the time you have a new job that you're satisfied with, hopefully you've been dating her for a while and give her a ring :)

You need to work on your confidence. I don't really think the work is your true concern. You are in your late 30s and interested in talking to a female you are attracted to. You have a lot of money saved up and no student loans...
Just based on what you told me, I feel like you don't really have any hobbies/interests or friends to go out with to enjoy a good social life. I would work on this and eventually build your confidence to go out and start dating.

It would take too much time. I'm in my late 30s and I don't want to take the stress and debt. I want to start a family at some point. The only option would be PA school.

I'm not being harassed, but it is a lot of stress having to fix issues that the owners didn't follow through on.

I don't have any school loans, I live cheaply, and I don't have a family or mortgage, or car payment. I have about $160K in savings. My take home pay last year was $60,000. I am doing well financially, especially in this job market, but this job is really draining on me. The thought of switching careers and losing my steady income and status makes me feel like a loser. I feel like if I quit I will lose everything I worked for and people will look at me like I can't hack it.

I went through a dark period a few years ago when I got laid off and I managed to network and find this job. My self esteem immediately increased and I felt better about myself. Now that the place is failing, I feel like I'm going to become a failure as well. I'm tired of the DIR fees, performance measures, and all the new rules the BoP is piling on. I can't hardly get the Rxs out some days, and the patients get upset and then I feel like crap.

You outed yourself with this gem. Nice try.

Dude, techs think hooking up with a pharmacist as hitting the jackpot. Go get some!

Reactions: 2 users
Damn I wish I worked only 28hrs a week, I'd take the pay cut once my loans are paid off (no wife, no kids, very low cost of living too)

It's a sad state of affairs when we should just be, "Happy we have a job" and tolerate horrendous working conditions.
holy how are those all active licenese? why did you get licensed in so many states? it must be a full time job just trying to keep them all organized and up to date.