This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

obdormition

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I had a horrible freshman year of college, I was going through some medical issues along with an abusive relationship, as well as some family problems. These obviously making it hard to concentrate on school, I ended my freshman year, academically suspended, with a 1.8 cGPA (ouch).

However I have made some major improvements in my life. I am no longer going through any of the previous issues, and I managed to end my sophomore year of college with a 3.2 cGPA. (I had 2, 4.0 semesters, yay)

I still have at least 2-3 more years until I get an undergraduate, so I still have some time to move that bar higher, and I obviously have not taken the MCAT yet.

I have some okay EC's; Nursing Aide at a Hospital 1+year, Group Home work 6 months, and I have over 600 volunteer hours at a hospital where I held both leadership and advisory positions.

I would like to know what are my chances on getting into an MD program, and even moving on to a surgery specialty?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
With 2 years left, I think your chances are good. Or a better way of saying it...it's in your hands. Dominate in your science courses and perform well on the MCAT, and you can talk about the character you built and the lessons you learned in that freshman year on your many interviews. Good luck!

For a MD admission you need to increase your GPA to 3.5 . You also have DO as an option and the residency programs will be combined by the time you begin medical school.

Guys I have a question. If I want do MD and my GPA is only 3.0 without taking MKATS yet, what are the realistic chances of me becoming a doctor. And if so, what do I do. I'm in my second year. What do I do??

Guys I have a question. If I want do MD and my GPA is only 3.0 without taking MKATS yet, what are the realistic chances of me becoming a doctor. And if so, what do I do. I'm in my second year. What do I do??
Ask this same question in its own, new thread

Sent from my SM-G930P using SDN mobile