MD & DO Extremely Worried

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

peachbread

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello!

I'm currently a 3rd year math major, looking to apply to MD and DO schools in a year. I'm not aiming for the top. I'm not extremely picky about schools or their ranking. I'll be mostly aiming for UVM, since it's my home state.

The reason why I'm worried is because I know I'll perform superbly poorly in my Computer Science class. As a math major, I'm required to take CSCI101 and CSCI141. I completed 101 with a 99.6 average. Although I have an A+ in 141 right now, our first exam is in 3 days, and I'll be honest: I'm going to fail.

Suppose I get a C (lowest grade required by my major). What are my chances?

Current GPA: 4.0
Course load includes a bunch of math classes on top of graduate organic chemistry classes (I'm surprisingly good at orgo, it turned out).
Jobs: Teaching Assistant, Student Grader, Notetaker, Staff at a local convention, freelance artist
Extracurricular activities: Secretary in one club, Publicist in another
Research: Will be working with a professor to investigate a numerical of a model (differential equations) related to population dynamics summer 2016. Science-related, but not test tubes-related.
Volunteer: A few hours here and there. Dedicated around 100 hours to a food shelf as of today.
Shadowing: 16 hours so far (cardiology), and have a few more shadowing experiences with physicians in China lined up this coming winter break.
MCAT: Not taken yet. I think I'll be okay on this part. Scored a 28 on a practice exam last November (7r,10p,11b). Haven't looked at the new MCAT yet, because I have been too worried about a lot of stuff (basically, life became sour for a couple months for me). I hope I improved from back then? I know I'll improve if I rigorously study the materials for 2-3 months. It's a shame that my best subject (orgo) won't be tested as much. :c
Misc: Also worked 40 hours as a CNA/LNA. Quit due to time constraints.

I just feel like everything I do isn't enough. I see people with 500+ hours of volunteering, or 3+ research positions, or jobs that are considered "better" for medical schools. I dabbled in everything, but I don't feel like it's enough, as nothing really stands out. However, if I dedicate any more time to non-academic related activities, I feel like my grades will slip and everything I've worked so hard for will come crashing down.

I also feel like I should be more confident, since I do have great talents (I pride myself in my discipline and time management skills). I'm not, though, and that kind of makes me feel worse. Maybe it's the despair of my CSCI141 prospects talking.

Members don't see this ad.

Dont worry about one bad grade. Even if you get a C, it will in no way kill your application. As far as the ecs, it seems like you are on a good track.

Get a 'scrip for Xanax. One C isn't going to kill you.

Hello!

I'm currently a 3rd year math major, looking to apply to MD and DO schools in a year. I'm not aiming for the top. I'm not extremely picky about schools or their ranking. I'll be mostly aiming for UVM, since it's my home state.

The reason why I'm worried is because I know I'll perform superbly poorly in my Computer Science class. As a math major, I'm required to take CSCI101 and CSCI141. I completed 101 with a 99.6 average. Although I have an A+ in 141 right now, our first exam is in 3 days, and I'll be honest: I'm going to fail.

Suppose I get a C (lowest grade required by my major). What are my chances?

Current GPA: 4.0
Course load includes a bunch of math classes on top of graduate organic chemistry classes (I'm surprisingly good at orgo, it turned out).
Jobs: Teaching Assistant, Student Grader, Notetaker, Staff at a local convention, freelance artist
Extracurricular activities: Secretary in one club, Publicist in another
Research: Will be working with a professor to investigate a numerical of a model (differential equations) related to population dynamics summer 2016. Science-related, but not test tubes-related.
Volunteer: A few hours here and there. Dedicated around 100 hours to a food shelf as of today.
Shadowing: 16 hours so far (cardiology), and have a few more shadowing experiences with physicians in China lined up this coming winter break.
MCAT: Not taken yet. I think I'll be okay on this part. Scored a 28 on a practice exam last November (7r,10p,11b). Haven't looked at the new MCAT yet, because I have been too worried about a lot of stuff (basically, life became sour for a couple months for me). I hope I improved from back then? I know I'll improve if I rigorously study the materials for 2-3 months. It's a shame that my best subject (orgo) won't be tested as much. :c
Misc: Also worked 40 hours as a CNA/LNA. Quit due to time constraints.

I just feel like everything I do isn't enough. I see people with 500+ hours of volunteering, or 3+ research positions, or jobs that are considered "better" for medical schools. I dabbled in everything, but I don't feel like it's enough, as nothing really stands out. However, if I dedicate any more time to non-academic related activities, I feel like my grades will slip and everything I've worked so hard for will come crashing down.

I also feel like I should be more confident, since I do have great talents (I pride myself in my discipline and time management skills). I'm not, though, and that kind of makes me feel worse. Maybe it's the despair of my CSCI141 prospects talking.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)

Hopefully it's something different from Lotka-Volterra equations. ;)

... and that's how people fail. You made up your mind already that you will fail, so it's hard to fix that. Have a good attitude, practice, and do your best. You may be surprised with favorable results.

If there is something difficult in your comp sci class that is making you feel upset, you can PM me your concerns and I'll do my best to help you out.

Hopefully it's something different from Lotka-Volterra equations. ;)

... and that's how people fail. You made up your mind already that you will fail, so it's hard to fix that. Have a good attitude, practice, and do your best. You may be surprised with favorable results.

If there is something difficult in your comp sci class that is making you feel upset, you can PM me your concerns and I'll do my best to help you out.
Thank you so much!
I studied for countless of hours and I got an 88. I made a really stupid mistake that cost me 2 points (during the practical, I panicked so hard that I forgot to put my name in the file). For the next exam, I'll definitely keep my confidence boosted!

Reactions: 1 user
Thank you so much!
I studied for countless of hours and I got an 88. I made a really stupid mistake that cost me 2 points (during the practical, I panicked so hard that I forgot to put my name in the file). For the next exam, I'll definitely keep my confidence boosted!

Congrats! Keep working hard and have a positive attitude, and you will succeed. Good luck and have fun!

Reactions: 1 user