Eye disabled after head injury

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

J3RM

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
A girl approached me the other day and told me about her situation. She fell out of a vehicle around 20-30mph and cracked her skull. After leaving the hospital she noticed that her left eye was unable to look to the left, she was only capable of moving it to the center and to the right.

I simply asked her to wear a patch over the good eye to help strengthen the damaged eye before we proceed with any other advances.

It's been about 3-4 weeks since the accident. I just wanted to hear some feedback about the situation.

Members don't see this ad.

A girl approached me the other day and told me about her situation. She fell out of a vehicle around 20-30mph and cracked her skull. After leaving the hospital she noticed that her left eye was unable to look to the left, she was only capable of moving it to the center and to the right.

I simply asked her to wear a patch over the good eye to help strengthen the damaged eye before we proceed with any other advances.

It's been about 3-4 weeks since the accident. I just wanted to hear some feedback about the situation.

Well you probably want some sort of imaging of head and orbits, you are describing a 6th nerve palsy, vs orbital/lateral rectus damage. I assume some sort of imaging was done, unless "cracked her skull" is a figure of speech.

Usually these forums aren't for seeking medical advice, although sharing interesting cases happens. What type of medical professional are you?

please don't say optometrist:scared:, please don't say optometrist:scared:...

Members don't see this ad :)
>I simply asked her to wear a patch over the good eye to help strengthen the damaged eye before we proceed with any other advances.

Strengthen the damaged eye?

story and thread is fishy, ?troll?

She should make an appointment with an eye care professional ASAP.

I am not a "professional" but I will refer her to one.

I am not a "professional" but I will refer her to one.

So why did she "approach" you? Just curious, your initial post kind of made it sound like she sought you out for treatment, which you then gave (advice anyway). I guess it could have just come up socially as well.

Not trying to criticize, if you are a layman trying to help a friend your advice makes sense logically, but wouldn't be the treatment of choice medically.

actually, I was thinking the OP's suggestion to their friend, makes no sense whatsoever. To the layperson, it might have some "intuitive" cache, but in the medical world, it wouldn't be a choice at all.

Are you an idiot? Why didn't she go to the emergency room? WHY THE HELL DID YOU PATCH? This dude is totally a troll because no sane person would ever do this. Making your friend wait has probably caused her even more harm.

I'm only a second year optometry student, but from what I've learned in school the areas of the rectus muscle insertions on the sclera are very thin and this could cause a rupture due to head trauma. Anyone with more experience in this area care to share any input? Obviously this is not meant to diagnose this person, especially since they should definitely go get looked at by a professional, I would just like to know for educational purposes.

I'm only a second year optometry student, but from what I've learned in school the areas of the rectus muscle insertions on the sclera are very thin and this could cause a rupture due to head trauma. Anyone with more experience in this area care to share any input? Obviously this is not meant to diagnose this person, especially since they should definitely go get looked at by a professional, I would just like to know for educational purposes.

It could be several things, and it can't be determined here. Suffice it to say that recently acquired EOM problem following trauma = BAD. This guy must be a troll, what layperson would ever suggest "patching" for anything? Pretty stupid really.

It could be several things, and it can't be determined here. Suffice it to say that recently acquired EOM problem following trauma = BAD. This guy must be a troll, what layperson would ever suggest "patching" for anything? Pretty stupid really.

I don't think the OP is necessarily a troll, though its possible. Patching does make some intuitive sense to any layperson who is somewhat familiar with a "lazy eye." Many people have friends/acquaintances with a lazy eye, which is often accompanied with strabismus. Patching is a fairly standard treatment for that in childhood. Easy to see how a layperson might wonder if the trauma caused the eye to become "lazy" and not want to move. Thus patching the other eye would be a logical solution given that line of thinking. Obviously not the correct line of thinking, but entirely plausible.

Head trauma wouldn't cause a globe rupture but you correct about behind the rectus muscles, this is where the sclera is the thinnest and one of the most likely sites of a rupture in globe trauma along with old cataract wounds, the limbus, and at the equator.

HEALTH CARE
symptoms of a concussion are

-severe headache that doesn't stop
-nausea/vomiting
-confusion (not remembering where you are, what year it is,etc)
-being overly sleepy
-blurred vision

if you aren't experiencing any of these, then chances are you didn't sustain a concussion.

the problems you are currently experiencing with your reading and writing (especially if they are new issues) could possibly be related to past injuries. follow up with your family dr about getting a referral to see a neurologist to be evaluated.

Last edited: