Eye drops dissolving cataracts?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Titus345

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

Sorry if this post is misplaced, but I was hoping to hear from you all on the future of cataract-dissolving eye drops and how you think it will impact the field. I am a current M2 who plans on applying to ophthalmology, but was concerned with the thought that maybe by the time I would be finished with residency (~7 years) there could be drops that would eliminate much of an ophthalmologist's surgical volume and billing power. I'd love to hear any and all opinions on this. Thanks in advance for any knowledge that you can provide.

Members don't see this ad.

Seems like there are quite a few studies that show oxysterols are not effective in reducing human cataract formation.

Overall, ophtho is a great. I think you’ll enjoy it! Lots of cool, life-changing surgeries, great pathology and physiology, grateful patients, amazing lifestyle, and well compensated. The job market is currently fantastic! Great demand for even comprehensive ophthalmologists with the higher percentage of the population > 65 years old. According to John Pinto, there are about 550 retiring ophthalmologists and about 450 new ophthalmologists every year. So the demand will likely be even higher in 5-10 years when you’re done.

Go for it!

Reactions: 1 user
Cataract extraction is no longer simply a pathology-based event, its a refractive-based event. Who wants to take drops to prevent a cataract but remain a +2.50 rx in full time glasses, when you can surgically remove the cataract and place an implant that will give them perfect uncorrected distance vision (and near with a multifocal implant)? Cataract surgery is only going to increase in the next decade with more and more people spending money for laser assisted surgery and multifocal implants.

Reactions: 1 user