-
CycleTrack and SDN are teaming up to make medical school admissions more transparent and accessible! Read the announcement to learn how we’re supporting the future of CycleTrack’s free application-tracking tools .
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
eye exam cost
Started by scraders
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
The price can definitely vary between offices.
The eye clinic I work at charges $66 for a complete eye exam including a DFE. However, we charge more for a contact lens examination depending on the situation. If the patient has never worn contact lenses before or is switching to a new brand of contact lenses, the fitting cost starts at $88. If the patient has worn CL before and wants the same ones, an evaluation starts at $24. The prices are higher depending if you wear soft or hard contact lenses, RGPs, etc.
The eye clinic I work at charges $66 for a complete eye exam including a DFE. However, we charge more for a contact lens examination depending on the situation. If the patient has never worn contact lenses before or is switching to a new brand of contact lenses, the fitting cost starts at $88. If the patient has worn CL before and wants the same ones, an evaluation starts at $24. The prices are higher depending if you wear soft or hard contact lenses, RGPs, etc.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'm working at an optometrist's office and here's the pricing:
eye exam $40
contact lenses $70-90
eye exam $40
contact lenses $70-90
I was calling different offices for a contact lens exam and I ran into one that charged $195. Does that sound too high? The lowest I found was $75, but when I was under my parents' insurance at Kaiser, it was $35.
it also depends greatly on what part of the country you're in. CA >> Houston. It also depends on whether you go to a private OD vs a chain store. Chain stores can obviously give you better deals on price.
If price is your concern though you either go to a chain.. or to who is covered under your vision plan/insurance.
If price is your concern though you either go to a chain.. or to who is covered under your vision plan/insurance.
bobsacamenoh said:I was calling different offices for a contact lens exam and I ran into one that charged $195. Does that sound too high? The lowest I found was $75, but when I was under my parents' insurance at Kaiser, it was $35.
In my office, I charge $130 for a routine examination, and an additional $100 for contact lenses. $150 if it's monovision.
Jenny
JennyW said:In my office, I charge $130 for a routine examination, and an additional $100 for contact lenses. $150 if it's monovision.
Jenny
hay Jenny,
Do you have a 'cancellation policy'
by that i mean, if somone books an appointment and then doesnt show up without calling you and cancelling (within 48 hours), do you still charge them?
i.e, some OD's feel that if you made an appointment and cancelled without calling, then they are loosing money as they can be seeing someone else in that time....
We charge ~$85 for a standard exam w/DFE and an additional ~$35 for contact lens.
We don't charge the patient if they don't come without calling, we just get really pissed. It seems that those who don't come in have usually made a few exams in a row (for a family) when that happens, we have a list of a patients who wanted earlier exams than they were able to schedule so we call them and see if they can make it in. We do make a note in the computer if the patient was a no-show. If it happens twice in a row, we will only accepted an appointment from them again if they call in the morning and we happen to have a spot open that day. Surprisingly, we have several patients how actually do that.
We don't charge the patient if they don't come without calling, we just get really pissed. It seems that those who don't come in have usually made a few exams in a row (for a family) when that happens, we have a list of a patients who wanted earlier exams than they were able to schedule so we call them and see if they can make it in. We do make a note in the computer if the patient was a no-show. If it happens twice in a row, we will only accepted an appointment from them again if they call in the morning and we happen to have a spot open that day. Surprisingly, we have several patients how actually do that.
Tony. said:hay Jenny,
Do you have a 'cancellation policy'
by that i mean, if somone books an appointment and then doesnt show up without calling you and cancelling (within 48 hours), do you still charge them?
i.e, some OD's feel that if you made an appointment and cancelled without calling, then they are loosing money as they can be seeing someone else in that time....
No, I do not charge them. I do not have a large problem with people no-showing. Very very few doctors charge for missed appointments, and the eyecare arena is very competitive. Charging for missed appointments is a sure way to foster ill will. I don't allow people to book more than two slots at a time, and this is a policy that has worked very well for me.
Jenny
JennyW said:No, I do not charge them. I do not have a large problem with people no-showing. Very very few doctors charge for missed appointments, and the eyecare arena is very competitive. Charging for missed appointments is a sure way to foster ill will. I don't allow people to book more than two slots at a time, and this is a policy that has worked very well for me.
Jenny
I guess dealing with appointments is different for everyone. Last summer I worked for an OD who charged patients for not showing up to their appointment. Like, he charged them the fee they WOULD have paid if they had come in to see him....I dont even remember ONE TIME where a patient didnt show up for their appointment. I think it gave the OD some respect in that matter, he didnt have much competition and he was probably the coolest OD around ( and he knew it thats why he had a cancellation policy ) I dont think i agree with you that having a cancellation policy fosters 'ill will' , i think everyone runs their practice in different ways and there is no one RIGHT way.......
The OD I was working for was seeing about 30-40 patients a day ( with the help of another OD) and he loved to be busy ! but, I agreed with him that if a paient doesnt show up, he not only looses money but TIME !
but, Jenny, everyone is different, what works for him may not work for anyone else......and I recognize that..
i work at lens crafters and its 54.95 for standard without photoes or dialation but with dialation and photoes its 19 bucks more.. u save 30 percent with ur AAA card
Similar threads
- Replies
- 0
- Views
- 219