Eye Physiology in Kaplan

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kaleerkalut

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I remember when I went through the Kaplan videos there was a section that explained all of the eye physiology stuff (i.e. GABA signals and it is reverse with hyperpolarization causing function etc.) but now I can't find it and its freaking me out. Anybody mind helping me out and telling me where it is? Thanks in advance :)

Members don't see this ad.

Light -> phosphoisomerization of rhodopsin (later regeneration of rhodopsin due to Vit A) -> formed metarhodopsin II activates Gt -> stimulation of cGMP PDE -> decrease cGMP -> Na channels close -> hyperpolarization -> decrease glutamate (excitory) release -> inhibition of optic nerve bipolar cells relieved -> initiation of signal transduction to cortex

During dark: partial depolarization -> glutamate release -> optic nerve bipolar cells inhibition

Attachments

• Vit A.jpg
    57.5 KB · Views: 29
Last edited:
Light -> phosphoisomerization of rhodopsin (later regeneration of rhodopsin due to Vit A) -> formed metarhodopsin II activates Gt -> stimulation of cGMP PDE -> decrease cGMP -> Na channels close -> hyperpolarization -> decrease glutamate (excitory) release -> inhibition of optic nerve bipolar cells relieved -> initiation of signal transduction to cortex

During dark: partial depolarization -> glutamate release -> optic nerve bipolar cells inhibition

Thank you so much! Which section is this in the Kaplan videos? Again thanks a ton :D

no problem))

I don't have videos, but it is from Kaplan Biochemistry book, section about vitamins)

Members don't see this ad :)

Light -> phosphoisomerization of rhodopsin (later regeneration of rhodopsin due to Vit A) -> formed metarhodopsin II activates Gt -> stimulation of cGMP PDE -> decrease cGMP -> Na channels close -> hyperpolarization -> closure of voltage-gated Ca2+ channels --> glutamate-containing vesicles cannot fuse with plasma membrane (bc they require calcium to do so) --> decrease glutamate (excitory) release -> inhibition of optic nerve bipolar cells relieved -> initiation of signal transduction to cortex