Eye problems ...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lifegoeson!

Reaction score
Hi,
I'm an aspiring dentist, and am planning on applying upcoming cycle.
However, I have been having concerns with going with this path due to problems with my eyes.
I have dry eyes (although my condition has been getting a bit better), sensitivity to brightness, and get eye strains.
I know that as a dentist, you have to look at bright things all day, and will need to visually strain your eyes.
I'd like some advice from current dental students (or even better, current dentists) if I should try to look for different career paths....

Members don't see this ad.

Have you seen an optometrist or ophthalmologist?
Yes, I have (actually twice within a few months). Both said there's nothing wrong with my eyes, but it's just a concern that I have because I know with age, eye conditions get worse.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi! Optometrist here. Glad to hear you’ve had your vision and ocular health evaluated. Assuming all is healthy and no glasses need to be prescribed, I have a few suggestions that might help. 1) For the dry eyes, I like using Systane Hydration preservative free drops. They tend to coat my eyes better and provide longer relief. Even with using contact lenses, applying the drops just 2-3 times a day gives me all day relief. These come in PF single vials so not good for pockets but ok to place in a desk or drawer between uses. 2) Sensitivity to brightness is a common issue for young and old patients. Sunglasses outdoors even in overcast weather protects from UV and ambient environment and relaxes the eyelids to reduce squinting outdoors on a bright day. 3) Mild yellow tinted glasses may help to alleviate eye strain and can also help reduce the brightness sensitivity from indoor lighting and LED devices. The yellow tints helps to “soften” the light. A lot of delivery and truck drivers use these lenses to reduce headlight glare distortion and brightness. If the yellow tint interferes with saturation and color schemes in dental, then unfortunately this may not work while your with patients. If yellow doesn’t work, you can try regular blue light blocking lenses since the blue purple hue in these lenses should not change color appearance while still provided eye strain relief. I apologize for the long message. I would hate to see you choose a different career path without at least considering some other options to help your ocular symptoms. Best of luck. Feel free to PM with any questions or doubts.

Reactions: 2 users
Hi! Optometrist here. Glad to hear you’ve had your vision and ocular health evaluated. Assuming all is healthy and no glasses need to be prescribed, I have a few suggestions that might help. 1) For the dry eyes, I like using Systane Hydration preservative free drops. They tend to coat my eyes better and provide longer relief. Even with using contact lenses, applying the drops just 2-3 times a day gives me all day relief. These come in PF single vials so not good for pockets but ok to place in a desk or drawer between uses. 2) Sensitivity to brightness is a common issue for young and old patients. Sunglasses outdoors even in overcast weather protects from UV and ambient environment and relaxes the eyelids to reduce squinting outdoors on a bright day. 3) Mild yellow tinted glasses may help to alleviate eye strain and can also help reduce the brightness sensitivity from indoor lighting and LED devices. The yellow tints helps to “soften” the light. A lot of delivery and truck drivers use these lenses to reduce headlight glare distortion and brightness. If the yellow tint interferes with saturation and color schemes in dental, then unfortunately this may not work while your with patients. If yellow doesn’t work, you can try regular blue light blocking lenses since the blue purple hue in these lenses should not change color appearance while still provided eye strain relief. I apologize for the long message. I would hate to see you choose a different career path without at least considering some other options to help your ocular symptoms. Best of luck. Feel free to PM with any questions or doubts.
Thank you for your advices!
I didn't know that dentists can wear blue light lenses or yellow tinted glasses while working, as I always see them wearing loupes.
But yes, I will try to take good care of my eyes. I have been actually putting on eye drops, but they sometimes burn my eyes (even if preservatives free) or they make me feel like there's something in my eyes. So I cannot put too much eye drops in a day; sleeping a lot is sometimes just the best remedy.
I just have a little bit of a health anxiety, which has been adding on to this stress.
But I certainly do hope to continue on this path as much as I can.