DAT Technical Problems: Retake?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pmgibso1

Reaction score
Hello, I just took the DAT today after having it postponed three times! I need some advice. There were some major technical glitches during my test resulting in me losing lots of time and they may let me retake it within a month to replace the scores free of charge. Should I take it again? I absolutely hate studying standardized tests and I legit did not study for the DAT I took. I got an 18AA (20PA/18QR/20RC/18BIO/16GC/17OC/17TS).

I have a 3.86 GPA and 3.88/3.83 Sci/BCP GPA. I have 150 hours of shadowing. Tons of research, no publications. 500+ volunteer hours, marching band, and graduated in three years. Already submitted my AADSAS and TMDSAS applications and I want to get into good schools. I hatestudying for standardized tests, thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hello, I just took the DAT today after having it postponed three times! I need some advice. There were some major technical glitches during my test resulting in me losing lots of time and they may let me retake it within a month to replace the scores free of charge. Should I take it again? I absolutely hate studying for the test and I legit did not study for the DAT I took. Winged it. I got an 18AA (20PA/18QR/20RC/18BIO/16GC/17OC/17TS).

I have a 3.86 GPA and 3.88/3.83 Sci/BCP GPA. I have 150 hours of shadowing. Tons of research, no publications. 500+ volunteer hours, marching band, graduated in three years. Already submitted my AADSAS and TMDSAS applications and I want to get into good schools. I hated taking the DAT and hate studying, thoughts?
Must retake. 0 chance of getting into "good schools" aka the cheap ones with the 18AA + 17TS with a 3.8+ GPA. You should definitely take it again (especially if it's free) and actually prepare this time. If you really hate studying, you're in for a big surprise in dental school, finals and boards alike.... And winging it in dental school will not bring you success, at all.

Reactions: 4 users
Must retake. 0 chance of getting into "good schools" aka the cheap ones with the 18AA + 17TS with a 3.8+ GPA. You should definitely take it again (especially if it's free) and actually prepare this time. If you really hate studying, you're in for a big surprise in dental school, finals and boards alike.... And winging it in dental school will not bring you success, at all.
Thanks for the advice! I like learning new material, I just hate studying for standardized tests. What do you mean with a 3.8+ GPA? Is it because no GPA is good enough to balance out this score or because GPA is good and shows I can do better on DAT?

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the advice! I like learning new material, I just hate studying for standardized tests. What do you mean with a 3.8+ GPA? Is it because no GPA is good enough to balance out this score or because GPA is good and shows I can do better on DAT?
Well, there are other standardized tests in dental school besides this one...

And both. Your DAT score is pretty below the average score for most "good" aka cheap schools. TX would be your best bet if you're a resident but the 18AA/17TS will not get you anywhere with them, guaranteed.

In regard to GPA, this huge of a discrepancy might say that there was major grade inflation going on at your school - it was super easy for people to get As and thus your GPA is so high BUT your DAT score (which is the sole metric of an app that can really standardize applicants) is below average. Thus, you might not have what it takes to survive dental school. Red flags everywhere with this scenario.

Retake it and pull a 21+ with above a 20 in every section.

Reactions: 1 user
Yep, you can't use "I don't do well on standardized tests" as an excuse. It also gets harder when you have to also perform how well your hand skills are in dental school. I agree you should plan to retake your DAT: your science scores are not at par with most applicants.

Reactions: 1 user