Eye Protection

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Adcadet

Long way from Gate 27
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all,
Just wondering what the pros do for eye protection during cases. Do you guys always wear eye protection, just have it handy, or go au naturel and live dangerously? I've decided that I generally want to be on the safe side, but I hate the hospital masks with face shields built in - they fog and get in the way. My regular glasses have small frames which don't give much protection, and I prefer my contacts anyway. I'm debating just getting a pair of decent safety glasses, especially since I still have my general surgery rotation to do.

Members don't see this ad.

most OR's should have a cheap pair of plastic eye shields. I like those better than the mask/face shield. ive seen some guys wear these crazy glasses with side shields similar to loops.

I used to laugh at some people running around the OR with eye protection until I got nailed in the eye with what I suspect was hip fragments during ortho case and then a lugie from a peds case during nasal intubation using a RRC technique. Loan check came in and I bought M frame Oakleys with clear lenses. Excellent fit, snug at top and open at bottom, only sits on nose and ears.

Wear around neck most days until ortho cases come along. You'd be suprised how much stuff you'll hear bouncing off the frames at times. Oakleys being overkill - perhaps. But I wouldn't trade them for the world. They never get taken off in OR. Oakleys have the ability to walk off better than Littmans that get left laying around.

Some people I know wear sport-oriented eye protection, some handgun glasses are also an alternative.