Eyeglasses fog up when wearing a mask?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mdphd2b

Hepato-phile
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

So I don't start my Surgery clerkship for a few mos, but I know for a fact that when wearing a mask for other procedures/precautions, my glasses inevitably will fog up! I really don't like contact lenses, and I was wondering if there are any anti-fog tricks that have worked with other people. I was looking for some anti-fog spray or something, but I couldn't find any in supermarkets or drug stores. Also asked Pearle vision, wear I got my glasses, but they had nothing either!

Sometimes I wonder if I'm the only one with this problem :confused:

Members don't see this ad.

I'm not in med school yet, but I am an FA/ST. What you can do is where the green masks with the little foam noseguard thing. Make the top part of the mask snug and loosen up the bottom part. It works like a charm.

Billy Shears said:
I'm not in med school yet, but I am an FA/ST. What you can do is where the green masks with the little foam noseguard thing. Make the top part of the mask snug and loosen up the bottom part. It works like a charm.

Tape the top also works and is used by a lot of surgeons.

Members don't see this ad :)
mdphd2b said:
Hi everyone,

So I don't start my Surgery clerkship for a few mos, but I know for a fact that when wearing a mask for other procedures/precautions, my glasses inevitably will fog up! I really don't like contact lenses, and I was wondering if there are any anti-fog tricks that have worked with other people. I was looking for some anti-fog spray or something, but I couldn't find any in supermarkets or drug stores. Also asked Pearle vision, wear I got my glasses, but they had nothing either!

Sometimes I wonder if I'm the only one with this problem :confused:

Go to an ice hockey store and ask for fog free spray. They sell them normally for people with the Itech style hockey face guards to prevent fogging. It'll work for eyeglasses as well.

ozzie20 said:
Go to an ice hockey store and ask for fog free spray. They sell them normally for people with the Itech style hockey face guards to prevent fogging. It'll work for eyeglasses as well.
A similar product is sold at dive shops for those of us who don't have a hockey shop nearby. :laugh:

Rain-X sells a product called (I think) Fog-X. Works VERY well in the car, haven't tried it on my glasses yet. I remember when I was a kid there was this blue soft paste that I put on my glasses to keep them from fogging. Try asking your optometrist.

Just tape the bridge of your nose to the mask. Nice, easy, works like a charm

You could use the masks with the adhesive in the middle of the mask, i found that by placing the mask more towards the tip of my nose and molding it to my nose takes care of fogging. I spent many weeks trying to mold a mask towards the upper bridge of my nose and found that I fogged up a lot more that when the mask was farther down on my nose. Also having the bottom half of the mask looser is a must. The above mentioned posts can work also.

I fold the mask directly in half, go about 1/8 of an inch either direction from the fold and fold the mask out so that there is an air space between my nose and the edge of the mask. Don't know if that makes sense, but it works well for me.

happydoc said:
Tape the top also works and is used by a lot of surgeons.

Yeah, but it gives me a major headache. The loosening of the bottom of the mask works great, since all the hot air has a place to go. You could just breathe through your nose too.

Billy Shears said:
Yeah, but it gives me a major headache. The loosening of the bottom of the mask works great, since all the hot air has a place to go. You could just breathe through your nose too.

Thanks for all the postings! Glad to hear how others resolve this problem!

So it sounds like some options are:
-fog-free spray
-tightening/taping the top
-loosening the bottom
-wear mask near tip of nose

-Nose-breathing: Yeah, at some point my nose tends to get stuffy in the mask, maybe that's the root of the problem? :idea: