Seeking advice in setting up 4th year rotations in EM in NY, NJ or CA.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Amaterasu B

Reaction score
Hello,

I'm a MS-3, enthusiastic in pursuing a path in EM.

I know VSAS doesn't open until next year but I would like to get in touch with EM residency programs that are still accepting students despite COVID to learn more about their programs and possibly schedule an away rotation for 2021.

I am interested in NY/NJ since my medical school is in NY and CA because I am originally from there.

Any insights on this topic would be appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

I’m not familiar with a ton of northeast programs but I got accepted for an AI at Conemaugh Memorial This summer but cancelled it last minute. It’s supposed to be a hidden gem.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Hello,

I'm a MS-3, enthusiastic in pursuing a path in EM.

I know VSAS doesn't open until next year but I would like to get in touch with EM residency programs that are still accepting students despite COVID to learn more about their programs and possibly schedule an away rotation for 2021.

I am interested in NY/NJ since my medical school is in NY and CA because I am originally from there.

Any insights on this topic would be appreciated!
The way to approach this would be as follows:
1. Identify Residency programs in these states and send an email, better yet, call them to identify the programs. Because of COVID, a number of residencies and programs have stopped accepting students, but this would be an apt way.

2. I would also lean on your school. Try and find if they have a list of students who ended up in an EM residency and see if you can find a program that's heavy with alumni. Use that relationship to leverage a rotation experience.

Finally, because of COVID it's a good idea to start early like you are doing, but, also keep in mind you might still encounter difficulty in getting a rotation.

Reactions: 1 user
Hey FutureDoctor5000,

That's my question as well. Everything seems very vague and that goes for the AAMC announced their "recommendations" as well. I am waiting to hear back from school regarding the policy.

What is your school telling you?

Hey FutureDoctor5000,

That's my question as well. Everything seems very vague and that goes for the AAMC announced their "recommendations" as well. I am waiting to hear back from school regarding the policy.

What is your school telling you?
Still waiting to hear from my school and what they will allow, I am hoping I can do a few aways, but I don't know if residency programs will ding you for this when applying next year if you do more than 1 away rotation, If anything I plan on doing 1 away rotation and at-least 2-3 or more online elective rotations via VSAS where I can be where I want, for me its more about being in a specific location to be closer to my SO, the rest of the months I will have to do at core sites through my school.

Still waiting to hear from my school and what they will allow, I am hoping I can do a few aways, but I don't know if residency programs will ding you for this when applying next year if you do more than 1 away rotation, If anything I plan on doing 1 away rotation and at-least 2-3 or more online elective rotations via VSAS where I can be where I want, for me its more about being in a specific location to be closer to my SO, the rest of the months I will have to do at core sites through my school.
Did you hear back from your school?

I was told that we aren't discouraged from applying to more than one aways. My guess is residency programs aren't going to care as much at this point, although I wouldn't do more than 3-4x.

Personally, the delay in VSLO (April 15th I believe) and programs opening up to any away applicants is more of a pain than anything else. I've been searching since last fall, only to be told to check back in the "spring."

I'm curious to hear if you've had any luck on this.

I was not aware of that someone will have a problem with more than one away rotation. I'm in NV and I wanted to do my away in northern CA. Applied thru VSLO but nothing yet.