Sep 8, 2015
-
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
Hey guys could someone explain this to me?? Its a question from Kaplan qbank

Kid with hypoglycemia/hypoketonemia has cardiomegaly/muscle aches/etc and dies at 5year old . Labs at an exam showed elevated carnitine esters in serum AND muscle tissue

The answers were some glycogen storage and 1)Carnitine Uptake Deficiency
2) LCAD Deficiency and I chose Carnitine since if Cat-1 makes the carnitine esters and there is no uptake of them in the mitochondrion they should accumulate... But it was LCAD deficiency and in the explanation they say ''Since Carnitine-esters are accumulating in serum and in muscle tissue , a carnitine uptake deficiency is ruled out'' !! Why is that??And also , shouldnt LCAD deficiency cause accumulation of simple FA's (not ''carnitized'' )

In my mind FA oxidation should be like this FA in cytoplasm --> CAT-1 makes FA-CARN --> Uptake by carnitine transporter ( DEFECT SHOULD BE HERE IN CARNITINE UPTAKE deficiency , so FA-CARN accumulates..) --> FA-CARN in mitochondrion --> CAT-2 removes carnitine and makes FA ---> FA gets oxidized

I hope someone could clear this out for me coz its driving me nuts

Thanks a lot

Attachments

• upload_2015-11-1_4-14-0.png
    upload_2015-11-1_4-14-0.png
    350.2 KB · Views: 18

Jabbed

7+ Year Member
Jan 30, 2013
North of the Wall
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
Carnitine uptake deficiency = a deficiency in carnitine. It is NOT a deficiency in the uptake of fatty acid-carnitine esters.

↓LCAD activity → ↑FA in mitochondria → ↑FA-carnitine esters d/t oversaturation of CAT II

Sep 8, 2015
-
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
Oh I see it was a naming issue , now i completely understand---> MCAD/VLCAD = Carnitine esters in serum , Carnitine deficiency = FA's in serum/muscle tissue . Thanks a lot man !!

About the Ads
This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.