FA + Uworld = not enough?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Orestis

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Good morning friends,

So I started studying for step 1. I finished the introductory(microbiology, biochem, pharmacology etc.) chapters of FA. Then I went through the cardiology section in 2 days. After that I started doing the Uworld questions. I did about 200 questions with all subjects selected for the cardiovascular system. My tests are about 40%-60%.

I found out that I should pay more attention to murmurs and physiology graphs(PV loop etc.). The problem is that the questions start mentioning ACE inhibitors for example which in FA are written in the renal system. Also there are questions about procedures(e.g. where the blood will pool in case of femoral artery hemorrhage after catheterization) that are not covered in FA and for some of the questions even if the basic concept is discussed some details are missing.

So my questions are: 1) People that did the exam with good scores did only FA and Uworld, how common is that? Should I start smth else? and 2) Is it worth it doing Uworld after the end of each system? Or is it better to do it at the end?

Members don't see this ad.

I am in Europe, this June I finished the 4th year which means I already did: anatomy, physiology, pathology, pathophysiology, pharmacology, immunology, genetics, public health etc.

Members don't see this ad :)
lot of people use UFAP. i personally dabbled with pathoma and mainly used lecturio along with Uworld + FA. I would do Uworld after each system.

As for UFA or UFA + something, depends on the time you have to prepare for the exam. If you have plenty I would incorporate another source. If you are short on time UFA should be fine.

I am in Europe, this June I finished the 4th year which means I already did: anatomy, physiology, pathology, pathophysiology, pharmacology, immunology, genetics, public health etc.
So I'm going to assume you have a good foundation and previous notes - you're just using FA as a reference to see what is examinable (which IMO is the only way to use FA). If time permits, I recommend going over the entirety of FA, review your notes, then do UWorld.

Reactions: 1 user